1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carefresh from pet smart

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hairy perch, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Has anyone tried using carefresh animal bedding from petsmart for their bugs bedding?. If so any good or bad reports?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have examined it in the stores. Not used it though. Seems to be nothing more than wadded up paper fibers, like spitballs, that have been dried. Wondering if it is really any better than shredded newspaper. The big claim is that it is more absorbent than wood shavings. Which really are not very absorbent at all honestly. Pet owners are not going to want to keep their hamsters in a cage full of shredded newspaper. You would never see them. :) But bugs don't care. You could try it, but shredded newspaper for me is free for all I can use. If you try it, I would avoid the ones that say "Odor control" on them. The paper would be safe but not so sure about the chemical additives and their effect on eggs and larva.

3. I use this for my bugs (mostly because I had extra from some mice) and I haven't had any problems with it and they seem to like it just fine

4. btr

btr Member

We use it for gerbils. It is very absorbent and is a good small animal bedding. For bugs, who knows.

5. I use it for bugs too. No problems.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Is what is being used for bugs by those that do, the one with odor control? Or is it the plain one?

7. I think the stuff I'm using is the odor control type. But I haven't noticed a difference in smell or beetle population.

8. The one I am using is the regular suff. Was wondering because a lot of the bugs I have a re dying off. It might be something I fed them Or something that was shipped with them. Got them from a member on here that said they wanted to get rid of them. I am still looking for a second freezer to set up and then buy some from Bugs to Bones. I believe he is the one from Alaska that I bought from years ago.Threw away two freezers already that got infected with those Damn Red legged suckers