1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artistry!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rick Carter, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Skife

Skife Member

SkyWalker-- well said.

Some guys are definitely more talented artists than others in the industry. They facilitate the rest of us with their forms and products. And it does take some talent, but taxidermy can be taught. Probably not at the highest level, but at a level high enough to please customers and not receive ridicule from peers. An individual with desire can take today's materials and produce a quality piece with some practice and education. Not everyone,, but probably more than we are willing to admit. Most people just don't care or have enough time.

The best "artist" I personally know in taxidermy is also the worst businessman. It takes a lot of talent in many arenas to become successful in the industry. And success isn't always dictated by the number of "Best Of" ribbons on the wall. I tell all my clients that taxidermy is an art and you have to find an artist whose style appeals to you, but also has a personality, price, and timeframe you can work with.

harriekat likes this.
  2. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I believe it is something you are born with. I inherited from my Father. He was a commercial artist, back in the day when you had to draw the logo's for your customers products. Same as some, in the 5th grade Myself and another kid, were the ones who always got out of class, to go in the hallway and paint or draw murals. Fast forward to adulthood, I have 2 daughters, who with out any coaching, have been drawing since they were old enough to hold a pencil. My oldest, does the painting classes George was talking about and calls her self the "traveling painter". My youngest was a park ranger at Huntington State Park in S.C. and painted the State Park logo and the big giant chairs that everyone gets their picture taken in.
    I don't know if it happens to anyone else, but there are times when I just got to do some type of art, and you can't just blow it off, it eats at you. There are times when I just wake up in the middle of the night and got to "get my art on" as my wife calls it. LOL. It's definitely a strange journey but glad I have the ability.

harriekat likes this.

3. I think a person is born with pure talent. . . Give a room full of 4 year old kids 1 can of Play-Doh each and tell them to make something. It won't take long until you see who has it or doesn't have it.

harriekat likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I was born with artistic talent. When I took a drawing class, it was because I could never get shading down the way I knew it should look. This was way before we had accessible internet. In my class I asked the teacher to give me a technique to soften up my shading. He walked over and said your shading is perfect except for; at this point he took his finger and rubbed the graphite and said you mean like that? Yep!

I knew what I wanted and how it should be, I just needed someone to help get there.

The drawings were artistic, making the matte and frame was a craft. Taxidermy is an art and a craft.

harriekat likes this.
  5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Da Vinci was reported to have been able to write with one hand and paint with the other. He could do this as the same time. Wonder where he went to art school?

harriekat likes this.
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Yeah Ron, probably a bunch of Pee pees and wee wees. Heard that one on Seinfeld.

7. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Take a walk through an "ART" gallery. You will see creations made of everything and anything. Even bones, feathers and fur. Maybe even scales, don't want to leave you fish guys out. How can taxidermy not be considered art at any level ? We've probably all looked at something considered "ART" and said " that's art? ". Bottom line in my opinion, if the person who made it feels that it's art , or the person admiring it feels that it is art , than it is ART. Who can really say anything isn't ?

harriekat likes this.
  8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Brian, that's exactly why there's a word connotation for that. It's called "starving artist".

landdepot and harriekat like this.
  9. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Right you are George ! Lol Rick, you hit on a good one here. ( this thread) I believe that you have been known to say " we all suck, we just suck at different levels ". I think that's close to how it was said and I must say I thought it was quite accurate. Keeping that in mind, where is the line between just taxidermy and artistic taxidermy? Or great taxidermy and sucky art ? Where does rogue taxidermy fit in ? Isn't all taxidermy art and it just sucks at different levels ?

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

George do you still have your Elvis painted on velvet collection?

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The definition of art is "the expression of human creative skills and imagination, typically in visual form such as painting and sculpture producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty and/or emotional power.".
    Definitely applies to taxidermy.
    The definition of craft is "the skill of making things by hand."
    Definitely applies to taxidermy.

harriekat likes this.
  12. Harum

Harum Active Member

An artist is a person engaged in some type of FINE ART.
    I can assure you that the Fine Arts world does not consider “anatomically accurate” Taxidermy Fine Art. Try as you might but, a fir lined toilet fits right in and a piece on the cover of Breakthrough does not. We can call the piece on the cover Art (and it is) but, not Fine Art. The fir lined toilet takes little talent to create and the piece on the cover takes a large amount of talent. The cover piece also takes a large amount of subject based knowledge. An Artist by definition has become more of a cognitive theorists with a creative imagination than a talented individual. George gets this with his comment about Picasso and the Emperor’s new clothes.

An artisan is engaged in a craft or applied art.
    This term is more aligned with talent and what is known as a Craftsman. You can be born a talented individual but, I just don’t agree that you are born an Artist.

I have debated these issues in College. I fought to include my paintings in what I felt was Fine Art. The professors repeatedly called my paintings illustrations. I saw them as non-talented hacks… they of course called themselves Artist.

Call yourself an Artist, call your work Art or imply that it takes Artistry to create what you do and it will help you sell your product. This is the case because the general public doesn’t understand what the label of Artist implies any more than the Craftsmen in the field of Taxidermy does.

Try to create a piece with raw talent and an artistic imagination without the knowledge of the subject matter and you have a less than poor chance of pulling it off. We are not painting a black square on a white background. We are trying to duplicate nature with a three dimensional form. We need to understand the animal if we are to duplicate it properly. Once this knowledge is acquired the Artistic abilities and talent will shine through.

-Pete

harriekat likes this.
  13. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

I love what Pete said. I also am still always enthralled with the renaissance period. They admitted the beauty of anatomy, light, color, perspective and composition.
    I see myself as "artistic" only in my tenacity to pursue taxidermy, not so much what I finish or make.

harriekat likes this.
  14. George

Unless you sculpt your own forms, we're just dealing with ceramics with hair.

15. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Fair enough George, great perspective. But some are thinking more challenging hurdles or mountains.

16. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    To Me.......Art or Artistry is in the eye of the beholder. It's all around you. It can be as simple as a rain drop dripping off a leaf onto the beak of a baby robin in a nest, Hmmm I'll call that live art in real time produced from my favorite author of creation.

Things produced by us in mediums such as paintings, sculptures, carvings, taxidermy etcetera, done with skilled craftsmanship and creativity that strikes "deep emotion" in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, is art or artistic.

Then there's the fir lined toilet as Pete referenced, I'll call that a "perversion" of art. If someone is willing to pay you good money (they want it because it has lasting emotional value) then let the smarty pants people call it art and be happy you can support your family by having the skill to glue fur to a toilet,,,crapper...crap.

Creativity + Craftsmanship + Emotion + Communication + Coffee = Artistry!

Too much coffee.,.

harriekat likes this.
  17. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Try typing "Taxidermy art" into the Google Images search engine and have a look at what it tells you. Brace yourselves.

18. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Oh my goodness...creativity run amuck! Is this what they're teaching our kids in school > way out there in left field?

19. George

LMAO.
    Jeff, I've seen your work and it IS art. Not the fish though they're top notch, but the paint schedules and the blending in portraying the fish are definitely artistic pieces. We all know that the secret to great work isn't so much in what we paint or draw, but in the way what we paint or draw fools the eye into seeing things that aren't there.

harriekat likes this.
  20. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Wow Ken ! Now that was a walk on the wild side ! I'm not sure I want to think that far outside the box. It is quite interesting though to see people expressing their imaginations through taxidermy. I'm thinking we're a pretty dull bunch to those people.