1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP!!! Outdoor mule deer mount!!! ************

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Jkostella, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

I am in severe need of help in creating a mule deer shoulder mount to be used outside on a cabin peak.

Obviously I can't use the actual animal and I have never casted anything beyond tree bark from the silicone tutorial from josh knuth. I am very new to all of this though I have repaired deer skulls and recreated burrs on antlers and fixed tips. I do have small background on art and small sculptures but this is out of my league at this point. I don't know if I should buy a form and try sculpting it in clay or if it would be easier to cast the entire head. This guy really wants this done and I would like to try without ruining the animal.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Order a form cover it in acrylic stucco and texture it to recreate the hair patterns and let dry, paint to look like a deer. FYI You can order acrylic stucco in many colors.

3. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

This will be strong enough for heavy weather and not Crack on the form? And should i use the antlers off the deer or cast those?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It will hold up fine. I'm quite certain you see buildings everywhere around with acrylic stucco over foam. In a past life that is part of what I did for a living. I would cast the antlers.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

But, what about the paint fading and a sealer holding up to the UV rays and heat from direct sunlight along with temperature fluctuations??? Of course I only do fish, but I would assume that some of these outdoor fish hanging issues translate to this project too. My money says no matter what you do, IF it's exposed to direct sunlight and the elements, extreme temp fluctuations it will probably show it's age within a couple of years and I wouldn't doubt a total repaint necessary not too long after that. There's too many unknowns with the environment and at the very least I would suggest explaining some of these possible issues to your client. Better for it to last four or five years when you warn him ahead of time vs. having a pee-O'd customer in your ear a couple years later blaming you. I think the foam and such will be fine, it's just the paint fading and possible bubbling of any sealer coat that you need to worry about...

6. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

There is a product called Polygem that is exactly what you need. It is used all the time in the zoo exhibit projects. Mike Vernelson uses multiple 5gal kits of it each year. The stuff is used in Paleo exhibits for making one off dinosaurs. Staab studios in Kearney mo is making several models using it right now.
    It is a two part epoxy that has a long open time for you to work with it. You have several hours to texture it and it will dry overnight. You can then use normal exterior house paint thinned and sprayed to color it. You could apply it over a foam deer mannikin as long as the exterior was thoroughly scuffed up. They make a powder you can buy to thicken it to whatever consistency works for you.
    You just have to be patient and do some test runs on creating hair patterns as there are some really quick ways of creating different textures. Some you do early while it is soft and others as it starts to harden up. A little trial and error is all that is needed.
    Google it.

7. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

Thank you very much for all the info! He is on hold with it now, wants to get a moose and try it! Will always take more info!!