1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine / Method for Hobby Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by HunterArchery, Jun 23, 2017.

1. What would everyone recommend for fleshing capes and hides for hobby taxidermy?
    Maybe a few deer heads a year and some coyotes and foxes? A Dakota IV machine? By hand instead? Other?

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

No offense to anyone who has one, but I wouldn't buy a Dakota 4. Get a used full size machine if you go that route.
    You can shave anything on the regular size machine that the four can do, and then some. JMO, but the four was a bad idea from the beginning.

Fleshing machines.com. Dee might have something?

3. OK thanks. I have seen their ads on used machines and such. Will have to look into that too! Thanks!

4. Rhino

Michael, how far are you from Canisteo? It's close to Hornell.

5. I don't know I have to look it up. Where is that exactly? I am in New York State about 15 miles west of Albany New York.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I first started, I bought a Dakota Pro. I was only doing 3 to 5 heads a year then and I have never regretted it. It sure was nice not having to up grade when I did a major increase in work volume.

7. Yeah I'll prob go that route someday... if my work begins to improve eventually!

8. Rhino

That machine will greatly improve your work!

PM me if you ever need some help.

9. OK I'm going to start looking into very soon what the cost of a good used machine would run me

10. If you are doing less than twenty deer heads a year you may want to check out the flesh

all mini flesher. If you already have an air compressor the cost would be a lot less than the big machines.

11. OK thanks good idea

12. It depends on how you define hobby taxidermy.
    In any case, nothing beats the real thing. If you are in the financial position to buy a machine, first call a local taxidermist and see if they would let you wheel on theirs to get a taste for it and then take the plunge. John