1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quail - feather loss

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by taxi_carly, Jun 29, 2017.

1. taxi_carly

taxi_carly New Member

Hi bird people -

I'm practicing on some bobwhites and have noticed a large amount of feather loss when I go to wash the birds. I'm applying no water pressure to the skin itself and am being very delicate with it so I don't believe that's the problem. The first few had plenty of pinfeathers which explains the loss...but this last quail did not and still lost a ton of feathers. I'm thinking it's happening during the fleshing process. I'm putting a great deal of effort into fleshing, using a wire wheel and often times a scalpel blade to get in between the quills trying to get out every bit of flesh I can. Could I be overworking it and loosening the feathers? Appreciate any advice.

2. Hi Carly....Quail are very sensitive.I personally don't use a wire wheel on them.I get most of the fat off by hand.Also I'm very careful when i thaw them out I don't let them sit out in room temperature overnight ...I stick them in the Fridge.You can just take them out of the freezer early in the morning and they should be thawed out in a couple hours or so and then mount them.A lot of feathers seem to fall out a lot of times but don't give up....they aren't easy,:)

3. taxi_carly

taxi_carly New Member

Thank you birdstuffer - think you're right I might have left them out a little too long. What a bummer after all that work - live and learn! Good advice.