1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

the best tannery for wet and dry tans. ANNNDD GOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Woody woodman, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Woody woodman

Woody woodman New Member

Who do you guys recommend for a quality tan with quick turn around, great work, not greasy???? I'm looking to send my hides to someone else. I'm not happy with my wet tans as they are soo greasy and the same with my dry tans!! My dry tans leave a grease spot wherever you place them! !

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What do you consider a quick turn around? 3 weeks? 5 months?
    What hallmarks are you looking for when you say quality and great work?

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

A quality tan with a quick turn around really isn't happening very often. Further down this page there is a tannery getting good feed back.

Who are you using now that is sending your skins back greasy? It's important to know these things to prevent your grief from happening to others! No one ever wants to say until some catastrophe happens, then it's too late!

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I've mentioned this before . . . Wildlife Gallery (Michigan) can pay 50% more and get them 30-45 days after they receive them in. I only use wet tanned so not sure about dry tanned. No issues at all.

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Your best dry tan is one you can do right at home. Simply skin, wash, flesh, rub the cape down with dry tan and mount. The skin tans while on the manikin. The dry tan can be purchased from [a supply company].

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

By dry tan, I'm sure they mean a skin that has gone through the complete tanning process and drummed etc. until dry.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

A quick turnaround has been around 4-6 months unless you pay more. H&H does a really nice job. Waiting on another tannery I'm trying for the first time to see quality that is closer to me.

8. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

What you are describing sounds like using dry preservative, which is not a tan at all.

To answer OP, I have had good experience using Carolina Fur Dressing and Seminole Fur Dressing. Both can handle your taxidermy tanning needs. Don't mean to exclude any other qualified tanneries out there, and there are several that I am sure do just as good or even better than the ones I listed but these are the ones that I have used and can recommend.

9. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Then exactly how do you define a "tan"?

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dave, they call it Dry PRESERVE because it's not a tan. You're simply making rawhide with bug proofing.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Dave Byrd, would you wear a jacket or boots that were made with DP'd hair removed skins in the woods during a rain storm day in and day out and expect them to stand up to that?

12. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Leather jackets and boots would stand up to it. Your "tanned" fur dressed hides are not leather... I wouldn't trust them to stand up to that rainy trek through the woods either.

13. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I would define "tanning" as a process of converting a raw skin or hide into leather. Tanning chemically transforms the skin into a stable substance.

A tanned skin is stable, permanent and will not decompose. A dry preserved skin can still decompose if exposed to moisture or the right environmental conditions. A tanned skin will not.

The Breakthrough Mammal Taxidermy Manual chapter 4 "Principals of Tanning" is a very good source to gain an understanding of the tanning process especially as it pertains to taxidermy.

14. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

If only "tanning" converts a skin into leather, then what do you call the fur dressing process used by many taxidermists because it doesn't actually produce leather? Your fur dressed skin "can still decompose if exposed to moisture or the right environmental conditions"...as would pretty much any organic material for that matter.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The definition of tanning when used as verb with objective is as follows: To convert a hide into leather, especially by soaking or steeping in a bath prepared from tanbark or synthetically.

A tannery does convert your hide into leather.

The fur dressing process used by many taxidermists may or may not be actually producing leather depending on the process used, the chemicals used and the desired outcome the taxidermist wishes to achieve.

DP'ing a hide is not a tanning process. It is a preserving process. It CANNOT turn your hide into leather, however, it can preserve your hide for many decades, making it very useful in the taxidermy business.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Leather will decompose at a far less rate when exposed to moisture, sun, and extreme heat and cold than a hide that has been treated with DP alone. I speak of this with experience, not assumption or from hearsay.

17. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I was under the impression that tanneries provide fur dressing to taxidermists not leather. If that's the case, then the term "tan" is being misused with "fur dressing" just as I misused it with dry preserving.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

In any case, I believe that DP is a good way to go in a lot of situations including mammals, deer mounting and birds. I prefer a tanned hide in most cases, however, DP is used in some way or another many times in my shop.

19. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Dry preserve is awesome.............................That's why so many of the large successful studios use it..... ::)

20. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

You'd probably be surprised just how many do.