1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

the best tannery for wet and dry tans. ANNNDD GOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Woody woodman, Jun 29, 2017.

1. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Dave, calling bullspit on that comment. Name me one Large Successful Studio that uses dry preserve on mammals. I think your dreaming....

2. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

You're the one that claimed they did not. Put the question to yourself.

I'll answer anyway. joeym from this very forum mounts over 500 pieces annually. I would say that's probably more than the majority of us wannabes on this site mount in a year. I'd call that a large and successful taxidermy business and I know he uses dry preservative on mammals.

3. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Dave, I guess when I said "large successful studios" I was thinking more along the lines of Jonas, Animal Artistry, Western Wildlife, Knights, Wildlife Gallery, Schwendeman, .... you know that type of Large Successful Studios. "TEXAS BIG" like Conroe Taxidermy....

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

R.J., ultimately does it really matter the size of the shop? I won't belittle a man's successful business large or small. The whole point is that a dry preserved mount produced by a "TEXAS BIG" shop would be just as superior as a factory tanned mount put out by a little guy....and I bet you, me or anyone else for that matter would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

5. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Well I can't argue with that.....George could but not me. I did see that The Wildlife Gallery along with their tanning is going to start to offer a "shave and dry preserve service" because as you said:
    "you, me or anyone else for that matter would be hard pressed to tell the difference."

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

We sure do, and have NO intention of preserving anything from a squirrel to a deer any other way than DP. Now with that said, sheep, goats, and bears are shipped to a tannery due to the oils in their skin.

7. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

For the process to be considered a true tan, it must include a pickling step.

The structural portion of an animal skin is the corium layer. The corium is like a lattice that is packed full of soluble and insoluble fats and proteins that aid the skin to perform it's many functions; thermal regulation, being waterproof, etc. The pickle, with its low pH, soaks into and helps remove these fats and proteins because they can and will decompose.

If you use a brush on tan like Mckenzie Tan or Liquid Tan, after the pickle you apply that product and it replaces those fats and proteins with a tannin and oil. The tannin coats and preserves the corium fibers. The oil fills the voids and lubricates the skin.

If you send your skins to a commercial tannery, the process is similar in that they pickle but most will separate the tannin and oiling. They will soak the skin in a solution that contains the tannin. Then they will apply the oil as a separate step.

Products like Krowtan combine the pickle, the tannin and oiling in one container.

Dry preservative doesn't remove anything from inside the corium fibers. You just rub it on and your done.

There is a place for tanning and dry preservative. I use both in my shop.