1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Remounting a deer head cape and all.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by taxidermistIN, Jun 30, 2017.

1. I have my first buck mounted. not a good mount at all... I know for a fact the cape was krowtanned and mounted with water-based glue, and mounted on a goofy looking vandykes form. I was learning taxidermy at the time so the guy who mounted it for me let me watch. Clay ear butts and ear liners.. The ear skin seperated from the liners so I know the glue can't be holding that well. My main question is can I re-hydrate that cape and mount on a different form my way.. I guess what I'm saying is I can produce a better looking deer mount and I want it to look nice being my first buck the deer was mounted 2010-11. Don't exactley remember when he got to it. I know capes are a dime a dozen but its a sentimental kind of thing I guess. Any info on doing this would be awesome thank you! -Josh

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

get a new cape. sorry to tell you that. but 5 to 6 years on that form is molded to that form. that cape is now hard rawhide.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

you probably would end up with a big mess and have to replace the cape anyway. And as far as producing a better looking mount it depends on you skill level.

4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2 get a new cape .
    Tommy

5. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Gents,

Would your recommendation be the same on a mount that had been mounted for a couple of years and not changing the form? Just would like to re-taxi the skin in a few areas and adjust the antler set. Torn on actually doing it as it was my first mount, but in the same breath I am kind of tired looking at the mistakes I made a few years back.

Thanks ahead of time.

6. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I think your going to be in the same boat whether it's 2 years or 5 or 6. If it rehydrates at all, it's going to be almost impossible to taxi anything around. I remounted the first buck I killed, and to be honest, I hesitated because of the sentimenal stuff, but now I don't regret it at all and I still remember the hunt very vividly. I remounted the first deer I mounted as a taxidermist 3 times!! Just take a picture of it to compare the progress you've made. I look at that picture and it scares the h*^ll out of me! If it were me, I would get a new cape in both of these instances. If there was something very unique about the cape, I might try to rehydrate, but otherwise save yourself the frustration.

7. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and advice.