1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy income??????

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John L, Jul 3, 2017.

1. John L

John L Active Member

Do any of you run retail sporting good or online stores. What other ways do any of you supplement your income?

Thanks,

John

2. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Hi John, good question. I've watched alot of others and I think the number one reason most are making it is because they have a regular job and or a spouse with a good job, or a pension from a previous career.. Your question is about "taxidermy income". I used to know an older guy who sold some custom fishing lures in a glass case in his shop. I think it was more of a "draw" to get bass fishermen in there rather than a money maker. Look around, everybody's teaching , one on one seminars, making videos, or doing wholesale work .

Funny thing about how taxidermists look at things. If someone charges a low price, they get rediculed, called names like "lowballer or hack'. But if a dermist gets behind and needs someone to do his birds or fish wholesale for him, he has no problem with the low price. The guy doing the work cheap is not considered a hack. He's a respectable wholesale taxidermist.

I think this is why some "specialize " in certain things also. Gators, tanning, snakes, pets for example. I like deer and bass myself. My phone has quit ringing. I did get a call for a blue crab and a 35 lb. carp , both of which I have never done.

I watched a man one time. He wasn't a tax., but he was into archery, made arrows, set up and sold bows. He had a small store going on, drinks, hotdogs, crackers and cakes, fixed jewelry, did gun repair and later started selling used guns. He had indoor and out door archery range. I think he did alright untill they tore down his old building and built a wife saver restaraunt there. It would have been a good place for a taxidermist. He didn't do it and didn't own the building.

Good luck, FS

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Had a taxidermist here years ago run a taxidermist shop with butchers and a hunting supply store with bows and other hunting related products. Quite the whole deal and went into insurance business. Had one of the busiest shops around.

4. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I have a day job, lol. I'm not nearly fast enough at taxidermy to make money doing it.

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Is there supposed to be a net income in the taxidermy business? Wow.

6. Fish stuffer is right,most of the top taxidermist have a good woman behind them working another job, allowing them the freedom to do what they do.

7. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

I agree.

I disagree

8. D.Price

John how have you been, haven't seen you in a while.

Taxidermy is what you make of it just like anything else, you can make a living at it but it is not easy.

....and yes, I do believe most taxidermist have a supplemental income of some kind or do their work under the table as a cash business and do not pay taxes, have liability insurance and all the other things that go a long with running a true "Business".

Here is my other income https://fleshingmachines.com/

Find your niche and jump in and make it happen, don't sit around waiting for it to happen. "It ain't about easy, and there ain't nothing easy about it".

DP

9. D.Price

X2

DP

10. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I supplement my mortuary income with taxidermy but it seems now I'm spending as much time on one as the other....which means absolutely no time for myself. Not complaining though...it's just how it is.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When my wife lost her job, we lost 2/3 of our income so to make up for it I went full time taxidermy in addition to full time day job. 8 years later, I now work a full time day job and supplement that income with a little taxidermy here and there. Never did any under the table stuff though, it was all on the up and up.

12. gab

gab Active Member

in our area there are two shops doing taxidermy and meat processing,2 shops doing taxidermy and tanning,1 shop doing taxidermy, freeze dry and hydro dipping,1 shop doing taxidermy and forms,4 shops doing taxidermy and guide service,1 shop doing taxidermy and tailoring service,about 15 taxidermists working in bigger shops on percentage and 8-10 taxidermists doing strictly wholesale work

13. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

To make a million in taxidermy is easy. Just start with two

In all reality you can make a good living at it. I value and price my work to where it accommodates the quality and the time and effort I put into it.

It is dang sure a tough industry but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well.... maybe ha ha

14. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

A wise man I know said it best.

"The secret to successful taxidermy business is a wife with a good job." :D

There are those that would protest, but when you peel back the layers it's almost always the truth.

15. I'm always curious about how many mounts full time taxis do to keep the lights on. It's incredible the variation. I know a great deal of that has to do with what they charge, but you have to wonder what else they have going on sometimes??

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm part time and last year I did around 300 mounts. I raised my prices again so this year I'm at 230ish mounts. I know several full time taxidermists around California and they do about double what I do.

17. Hummmm My wife has a good job. Yep sure does she is the duck lady. She mounts all the ducks in the shop. A normal year is 100 bird average. Does all the finish work on deer heads. and turns a lot of deer . And all the antlers mounts. So yes she has a Good Job and one that's very much appreciated.
    No we have no other income coming from another source. It can be done ! Maybe it easier to do in Louisiana and Texas but doable it is.
    just for fuel on this fire there are at least 3 full time taxidermist within 50 miles of me. I do not know what their wife's do.

18. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    300 mounts as a part timer. You must be single and no kids. Lol
    That is insane. I'm part time and 50 is plenty for me. My day job has been going crazy lately working 5 days a week so this season I wanna be around 30 mounts. Time to raise the prices. Lol

19. Jim

My wife doesn't make anything...she works for me!.

20. John L

John L Active Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am good D. Price I am just burned out on my regular job at 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. I only get about 3 days a month off now and that is spent catching up around the house. I just don't have the nerve to jump in I still have a few years until my house is paid off. I was just fishing to see what was out there. I figured if I worked as many hours as I do now on taxidermy I could probably make it. I just don't have a large enough clientele to just jump in. Could not survive on 30 or 40 mounts the first year without supplemental income. Wife would carry health insurance but might just starve to death before I built up a good income in the 3rd or 5th year.