1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re Mounting of old mounted birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Stephen82, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Stephen82

Stephen82 New Member

Good Afternoon

Actually I am a bird artist/sculptor and not a taxidermist my self, but have a small collection of mounted birds, I have an old parrot which is badly mounted, and wish to experiment in refurbishing it. before I was going to try to airbrush beak , feet and pedestal, I thought if I can open the bird and try to remount it, just to experiment a little. I have seen on the net a discussion where in order to relax the skin, a skin relaxer can be used. Any idea please ? Is it possible also to replace the eyes ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Hunts4ducks

Hunts4ducks New Member

Rittel sells a skin relaxer for bitrds - not sure who sells it, but it is available. I soaked a crane for four days in this and then mounted it up. Turned out great. I would open the incision carefully then soak it until it is plyable. Since it should be cleaned already, just wash it and go. Good luck. I've used this method on several birds with no real issues other than being very careful as the skin before soaking is like potatoe chips!

3. Stephen82

Stephen82 New Member

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate. It is really a pity to witness a badly mounted specimen. The specimen must be respected more than that ! :) . I will check this relaxing agent and see how can I acquire it. Once I read also that sometimes a salt and fabric softener can be used also. But prefer to try your suggested product. Thanks a lot.

4. This assumes that the bird had been mounted using contemporary methods. Be careful that you don't do this with specimens that have not been mounted that way. Formalin may not be your friend. John

5. Stephen82

Stephen82 New Member

Hi John

Sorry if am annoying, but I haven't understand: Formalin may not be your friend.

Thanks and appreciate

Stephen

6. Hunts4ducks

Hunts4ducks New Member

How old is this mount approximately if you know. Prior to 1955 in the USA arsenic was the base for preservative in taxidermy. Some of the chemicals used today are very strong as they often need to be. If the mount is older then say 1965 - I'd leave it alone or take it a taxidermist that does restoration if you do not have enough skill to do it.

7. Stephen82

Stephen82 New Member

Thanks a lot, and sorry for bothering you, no it was mounted in the mid 1990's . Thanks again

8. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

You're not bothering anyone..