1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Photobucket is now officially BROKEN!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Crap.. :mad: All the pictures that I have on posts and tutorials are now blank. Thanks Photobucket for being a dick! I will have to take the time to move pictures to another site to rehost them and then correct the posts. It will take time. I assume the same will also go for anyone else that used them for pictures. I may also host them on a server I have access to and go from there. In the meantime, does anyone else have a favorite go-to for free photo hosting that can be used to show pictures here?

2. Sea Wolf

Thanks. Will check that out. Thought I could put links from Dropbox but that doesn't work either. I have a registered domain site. Looks like I might have to get busy with that.

3. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

It's been broken for years IMO !!!

DP

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Do you mean it's actually broken broken or not so if you pay their $400.00 ransom?

I'm getting used to a site called Imgur. It's free and seems to work smoother than Photobucket ever did. It also could be my imagination but it seems the pictures are better quality too.

I went to Richard Benidict's (Angler's Artisan Unlimited) site for ideas on scale tipping an untypical brown and all his pictures were gone! I go to his site for inspiration as he does an outstanding job painting coldwater fish.

5. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Hi, as Cecil, I use imgur and I upload them on the albums I made in my account. It can be edit and i think you can put on private. Hope it be helpful.

6. Sea Wolf

Jeez Cecil, can you contact him and let him know? There is stuff out there that was helpful to a lot of people that now has been stripped. I downloaded all the photos from PB back to my PC and then deleted the PB account. Posted on their FB web page too as hundreds of others have. I have to find another site to host them and then go back through my posts, at least the helpful ones, and change all the image links. I have many bookmarked pages too and I dread going to look at them now. That $400 ransom is ridiculous.

As a note, Cecil, you can still get to his photos. I right clicked on one of the wrecked photos, chose to "view image". That brings you to the bigger page with the blocked image. On the upper left is his name that is actually a link to his folders. Those work and you can scroll through the pictures but they still prevent you from looking at the larger version.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sea Wolf,

I'm sure he knows. And if I was a fly on the wall in his shop when he found out I'll bet I'd see it it wasn't pretty. LOL

Good luck with replacing photos. I'm too lazy for that. I will just move on. I will definitely delete my photobucket account and remove any pictures I can't find on my PC.

8. QBD

QBD Active Member

I downloaded all of my pics from Photobucket and quit using it several months ago. It has been a real pain to deal with for a long time.

And I wonder how long the genius who came up with the $400 per year price to host 3rd party images will have a job. Many times, those kind of strong arm tactics backfire. A few businesses may pony up for a while to minimize disruptions but most users will tell them to kiss off.

Some other forums have increased the size of attachments (images) allowed so you do not even need a 3rd party host. Not this one though, max 128KB.

I have used postimage.org some.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with Imgur now. Was a learning curve for a bit but now I think I've got it figured out.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That must be why they said "Cecil" was already being used as a user name. LOL
    Imagine that, it's found on a server but they still haven't used it as a hurricane name and are repeating other names for that.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'd like to see Outdoor Hub join the 21st century and let you just post pictures here like every other site I visit does.

12. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

To many $$$$ to upgrade this mammoth !!!

DP

13. Sea Wolf

I'm trying Postimage.org for now. Seems easy enough and didn't take long to figure out how to get the links to pictures for posting. I would assume that Photobucket just shot itself in the foot and will soon be gone. There are a lot of other sites with servers out there that do 3rd party hosing for commercial sites that charge a lot less. Granted, I would like to see Outdoor Hub allow larger pictures too but to host and store those indefinitely will cost a chunk of change for the space if nothing else. I don't expect it and I can work around it. Some posters don't mind the little pictures but I'm a camera hog and want readers to see the big, detailed pictures.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

One poster on a fishing website is concerned that some of these other free servers will start having the same issues as Photobucket if everyone moves over to their sites.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Here's a link to an article about the situation.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/

16. Sea Wolf

Possibly, like rats jumping from the sinking ship. Worst case scenario is that I have a couple of registered domain names. I might actually have to pay to set one up and host my own pictures there. But even that, at $38 a year, is a far cry from Photobuckets attempt at extortion.

17. QBD

QBD Active Member

Yep, that article is like most news these days....very misleading. They talk about large users but they do not make it clear that the minimum charge to 3rd party host even one picture is $399.99. If they had a more reasonable price plan for smaller users, they just may have accomplished their goal of a sustainable business. I can not imagine enough folks are gonna dish out $400 a year to accomplish their goal. Casual users certainly will not and big users can do their own hosting for a lot less money.

I think PB has started to circle the drain.

18. jcrichardson617

jcrichardson617 New Member

Google Images might be a good place. Not totally sure if they allow hyperlinking like Photobucket did, but I would be surprised if they didn't.

19. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

George Roof you can using the Mobile App
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]