1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA featured on CBS Sunday Morning

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Oct 15, 2006.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

NTA Convention in Billings....It will be the last segment...after 9:00 AM CST

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Yep, they didn't do the profession any favors
    Same old same old.
    Public proception will still be the same.

3. The 6 minute show was nice and fair. I hope to see them in Kentucky next year.

4. "I'll stuff your grandma and put a cat in here lap" :) I thought it was o.k.-- no harm done. Was that really Janette's first comp? ??? ::)

5. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

;)I thought is was ok, too. I don't think it was Janette's first comp, though. She entered a horse at the World Show. It's a good thing that Al's customers don't look up his nostrils with a flashlight! ;D

6. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Well I wasn't overly impressed or disgusted with the show. I figured the lady folk might get a twist in their panties over all the pronouns used in the masculine form.

They seemed to focus a lot on the "body parts" issue and the statement about mounting "grandma" probably wont be looked at highly.. even if it is a common request.

Overall, not bad, but I didn't really see any sort of theme or reasoning behind the article other than "this is taxidermy" and some people still think it is creepy.

Jon~

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

It turns out that I can't get any sort of signal at all from CBS, so I couldn't watch it. (I'm out in the boonies and almost never watch TV due to lousy reception coupled with total lack of interest.) 'Glad to hear I didn't miss anything, though.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kim, I thought you'd promised me you were going to start being nice. Did I miss that someplace? I have to agree that my eyes opened a bit with Jeanette's comment, but maybe it was made in the context of the NTA shows. As for Al, God bless him. He was obviously the anachronism that Bill Geist was looking for and he played the part well. He had nothing but good things to say about the industry and there are a whole LOT of people who don't compete because they agree with what he said even if they never met him. I know many good taxidermists who refuse to compete just because of judges having to use microscopes and stobe lights to find enough issues "wrong" with a mount to take it out of contention. Yet we admire those who play the game with them.

I, personally thought it was an exceptional piece. It was first and foremost, mainstream media. It secondly played to an audience of discriminating viewers who could tolerate the self-aggrandizing sleaze of Arianna Huffington, study the table utensiles of the hoity toity, listen to the classical interpretation of Sting's music, as well as breaking news and what was coming up on Meet The Press. I think we should be gratified that a major network took time to travel to Billings and endure the ego and pompousness of a couple hundred skin pullers who love to take pot shots at one another without them telling the world how childish we can act at times. It wasn't a taxidermy or outdoor program and I think they did a great job of presenting it in a non-judgemental way.

9. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

George- I was being nice! As for Jeanette, she maybe meant that is was her 1st NTA show and that part ended up on the editing room floor. You know how the media is. All in all, it was very good and I enjoyed it very much. The gretest thing said in the whole show was Al saying "If you want something stuffed, go to Walmart and get a teddy bear!" I loved it and it was so true. Now, George, get your panties out of a bundle and ;D

10. gab

gab Active Member

considering what I've seen the media do to hunting related industries in the past,I believe it was Ok.Most of all it was entertaining,and that's what they're going for.And whether you like it or not,Al represents the majority of taxidermist;just a good old boy making his customers happy.If I had to choose between good old boy or stuck up artist,I'll take good old boy every time

11. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

I agree with George that it was a well-balanced portrayal.

Viewers are beginning to make comments on the CBS website. So far, the comments have been dominated by antis. I think some of us should visit the site to post some positive responses.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/15/sunday/main2089999.shtml

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

May God help us. Here's a taxidermist who doesn't know who Al Holmes is. Sweet Jesus, have we come that far this quickly.

4000fps, let me put it this way. Al Holmes told the audience thatuntil I arrived at the NTA there had only been 2 son's-of-bitches in the industry (he and Archie Phillips) and now there were three. God I love notoriety. LMAO

13. 4000fps...

Who are you? Where are you from? Maybe you can represent us better?

I yield the floor to you.

14. Guest1

Guest1 Guest

Kudo's 4000fps, Somebody professionally dressed , sport coat, suit and tie,no hunting hat or baseball cap, well groomed and yes articulate.
    That one line can't say enough, they profiled who they wanted to depict as the public persona of the bubba taxidermist.
    Sorry, attack me for this, If I go to a show it's sport coat and dress pants and more than 5 letter words.
    They CBS did nothing to give any professionalism to the tag Taxidermists

15. 4000 fps,
    Al Holmes is a very well known and well respected taxidermist. I certainly hope your comments are not meant to be so rude and disrespectful. Perhaps you should save comment for after you meet someone and put a face with them.

16. Guest1,
    I guess you are going to be easy to pick out at the next show.

17. guest1

guest1 Guest

Hey Dave , how many people do you think watched that show know AL Holmes, His opinion(4000fsp) is what the general population will think, 4000fps is perfect for an outsiders point of view, he doesn't know him and 99.9 percent of viewers didn't either, Guess you should start calling the country and explaining that to them also.

18. guest1

guest1 Guest

Yep, I'll look like the professional, well dressed businessman, successful.

19. Tell you what... Call Al up and ask him what he thinks about that show. I guarantee you he doesn't give a rat's furry you know what. And Al is a professional and extremely successful businessman.

I looked at some of 4000's posts. He lives in CO and is very conscious of appearances. We do what we do and take heat for it...true, but we still do it.

20. Did I miss something? How many of those folks were not dressed just as casually as if they were going on a tour of the Library of Congress? How many folks dress any differently that you would see in any other professional business establishment in your town? What exactly are you trying to prove here? That a suit and tie is the embodiment of image we want the public to think about when they think taxidermy??? Ridiculous. We are a multi-industry profession and the image that we should project should reflect in
    our work and in our solidarity. When we get that right we can all wear bikinis and we will still be viewed as professionals...whether we consider ourselves artists, craftsmen, outdoorsmen or curators.
    By the way, Al Holmes is a "make it happen" man in this industry...and has been since the beginning of the NTA and before. He is one of those unique personalities that has done more (several times over) to promote growth and development in the taxidermy industry than most of us ever will. You may not know him and you may not even like him, but in some way, he has impacted your ability to enjoy your profession for what it is today.
    BTW Guest1...quit hiding.