1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

First bird ive been happy enough to take a photo of. This is alos my first grouse.
    Im self taught so please feel free to critique!
    Next time i wont use hzel eyes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

not bad.....grouse are not easy to do properly....get a darker eye...van dyke med brown asheric works nice

3. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Very nice, especially for a first bird. Other than the eye color it looks like your self teaching has served you well.

4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I do like the shape of the asheric eyes. Im getting some for two sharpies ive gotta get going on. Just like the ruffed grouse though im not sure why hazel is recommended on the charts. Definatly no more hazel eyes!

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

neck is a little to long and stiff looking. a shorter one with a slight bend in it would have looked better keep up the good work

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

disagree museum man...have you ever hunted grouse? when they flush they crane thier necks strait out like that...I might have fluffed it up a bit but length looks ok

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

opinions vary.....I have hunted them and I just think a little shorter and more fluff would make it a nicer mount. as I mentioned I still think is good work for the first bird.

8. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Thanks fortjr tips guys. My thought with this bitd was to not overly fluff it as its inflight and feathers would be laying closer to the due to the wind. Wrong thought?