1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting a flying mallard with a shattered wing bone

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Jul 17, 2017.

1. allison1952

allison1952 New Member

can someone give me some insight on filling the void "no wing bone" on a flying mallard mount so its strong and looks acceptable, am new at this and would sure appreciate any and all advice.. thanks again

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

on busted up wing bones I have in the past used small wire, inserted it in the remaining bones and super glued them in allowing me to then wrap or clay the wire replacing bone armature. this works every time for me. shouldn't matter how much is gone it just takes time to recreate the radius and the ulna. after super gluing the wire in I have never had one come loose during mounting. good luck

3. From the home page...
    Click on TUTORIALS
    Click on LIST OF TUTORIALS BY SUBJECT
    Scroll down on pg one to WING TIPS #8

This is the technique that Museum Man is referring to
    Also, in the upper right hand corner on the home page you'll see ARCHIVES. There is a tremendous amount of information there to search through.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

If the wing bone is completely demolished and there is nothing left - not even enough to super glue wires into the hollow ends of the broken bones - then you can make an articulated wire armature to replace the missing bones. Using very sturdy thread, sew it into the cartilage of the wrist joint, using the small loop at the distal end to keep it from slipping around. I like to do it before I wash the birds because it helps to keep the wing feathers in better condition.
    Wrap some tape around where the wires overlap (or you can wrap it with thread and superglue with borax. Replace it if necessary after washing.
    When it's time to assemble the bird, place some epoxy filler in the area closest to the wrist. You will be able to shape it from the outside in order to smooth the transition area. Wire, wrap and pose the boneless wing as usual, aside from the epoxy reinforcement. (Don't skip that step - it's important.)

[​IMG]

5. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Nancy where you been......Ive also used bones from other birds I saved from hunting season......but the "parts" issue.......like the hinged armature Nancy...

6. allison1952

allison1952 New Member

thanks for the advice everyone