1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New NJ Taxidermist

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by atlas, Jul 17, 2017.

1. atlas

atlas New Member

Hi, I'm new to taxidermy and live in New Jersey. Despite countless Google searches and reaching out to others in the community, I'm still lost. I had a couple questions regarding legality such as:

-whether or not i need a permit/licence to perform taxidermy in NJ

-what animals/parts are legal/illegal to taxidermy in NJ

-what animals/parts are legal/illegal to sell in NJ

As of right now I am not working with clients and have no source of income for taxidermy but am very interested in vulture culture,
    -do I need a permit to pick up animals I find that died naturally (not quite road kill, I suppose it's more so scavenging)

-I think indigenous animals are illegal to sell but are they illegal to possess as well?

I'm just starting off and I'm having a hard time with taxidermy laws in my state; I'm mostly getting game laws, unless those are applied the same? Even then I'm still fuzzy on it.

Even if you can only answer one of my questions, please do! Thanks in advance!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Call a game warden and ask them directly, they are the ones that enforce the laws and tend to know them better than an office employee that works for the state.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2 on contacting the game warden. Anything anyone else tells you may or may not be true and saying "some guy on taxinet told me it was ok" will not excuse you if you are found by the game warden to be in violation. I would also contact your Garden State Taxidermy Association for information as well. You need to know the game laws of your state with regard to possession, buying and selling animals. There are also federal regulations for migratory birds and federal/international regulations controlling possession and sale of species listed on the endangered species list of any other state or nation (see CITES list). For example, it may be legal to harvest and possess an animal not endangered in your state, but it may be listed as such in another state or country, so sale is limited to within your state unless you get a CITES tag from your game department. (Bobcats are a good example) Any game animal is counted in your harvest possession limit unless documented by your state's procedures. In Texas we have to have a form for each game animal with hunter's license #, date and place of kill, species, hunter contact info, etc. Ducks and geese will count as your harvested birds unless you have a federal migratory bird license which allows you to posses more than the legal bag limit of those birds. This is all general info, and you need to find the regulations and specific applications from your state. Call the warden. He has the information you need and his/hers s the only information that counts. Good luck and welcome to the crazy world of taxidermy!

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

No license required to do taxidermy in nj ..except a migratory bird permit if you mount customer migratory birds

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As Jay said no license except migratory bird permit. You can mount any species of game animal taken legally in state or from out of state with CITES tag or proper paper work from out of state harvest info. As for selling, just about nothing can be sold in N.J. but some fur bearers, (no Bobcat) deer hides and feet, no mounts with deer antlers or antlers. Game farm critters are ok. That's about it. A log book is also required in Jersey of all incoming work and what you have in house as pertaining to taxidermy. You can get a road kill salvage permit for deer but not to sure on small game, as you would either need a trapper license or hunting license in season to process critters such as fox, raccoon etc. Frowned upon with rabies possibilities.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    not sure about Jersey but here the contacts are listed in the hunting or fishing reg books

7. atlas

atlas New Member

((I think the message was deleted so ill repost))

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

I had a question about finding the contact info for my state game warden

~edit: also having a hard time finding the contact info for garden state taxidermy association

I got the number [877-WARN-DEP (877-927-6337)] but it looks like that's for emergencies/reporting/complaints so I'm not sure?

8. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

You can find us at NJGSTA.com Give me a hollar if you have any questions.

Rick Baumann
    Pres. GSTA