1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

It's been boring in this section, so here goes again!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I don't post just so I can see my name "in lights", I assure you. I just enjoy coming on Taxinet. That's it.

Anyway, here goes my thread.

After all these years, you think folks would have learned a valuable lesson, but this still comes up sometimes.

Folks shopping for a tanner, and being worried about location? You can't possibly be serious! We are talking about your customers skins here. The one most important part of your trade, and it all comes down to usually less than $10-25 dollars?
    Seriously what's your time worth? Unless your a hack, mounting deer for $250 a head, there can't possibly a good reason for tannery shopping, unless turnaround times are the problem? I have news for you there. That is one problem that can NEVER be fixed, long term.

If a tannery is doing a consistent " good job", no matter what they do, turnaround times are going to suffer. The Tanner knows your problem trying to keep your delivery estimates, even though sometimes you might think they don't care. Most of the issue(not all) is training shavers. That simply CANT BE DONE overnight. Someone with what amounts to a spinning razor has to be monitored constantly, not to mention, that job isn't for everyone ! Unless you have stood behind a shaving machine for 8-12 hours a day, you can't even begin to understand the difficulty's and challenges these men endure. The cuts in salty water, aching back, arms you can barely lift, or your hands staying "awake" all night long from nerve and tendon swelling.... The list goes on. Learning the individual requirements of all species from multiple continents....

So, I guess you get the shaver picture. It takes a long time to train one, and weed out all the candidates that can't handle the job! I didn't even get into the equipment required to do large volume, not to mention other employees needed.

Every time a tannery expands, while turning out a "good product" at the same time, guess what? Before they know it, it's time to expand again, or they will jack their prices through the roof, to weed out the little shops. I have seen a few company's doing that recently.

Anyway, what's your opinion on " tannery shopping " to save on shipping charges? I am constantly reading of someone " looking for a good tannery in southern Wisconsin " , or something of that kind.

2. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

I ship over 1500 miles 1 way to a tannery I trust.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The only thing I can come up with is they fear shipping costs. My criteria for choosing a tannery is consistency. And I don't mean consistently bad either.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good point oldshaver but, I try to use tanneries close to me for multiple reasons but cost of shipping is at the bottom of the list. I use Moyle for all of my cattle or sheep or buffalo skins and it costs a pretty penny to ship those things there, but they have always done a great job on those. I don't quote a turn around for those. I have been forced to find a new tannery, as you know and guess what, the only shipping I pay any more for wet tans, is for the chemicals to be shipped here. Dry tans do still get sent off though.

5. In my opinion I had bad dealings with a tannery sending me back capes that were not my customers capes. So therefore now I tan all of my capes myself because I lost trust and respect for big tanning companies. It's not that hard to tan your own capes. Practice makes perfect.

6. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I've sent capes to several tanneries and all with some sort of issues... The last one from S.E. MO I thought would be OK but half way through his tanned capes I called him on what appeared as capes being swapped out.. I gave him the benefit of the doubt as his work was not bad at all. The straw broke for me was when I pulled out my son's cape (great cape for competition show) and found it was NOT his cape... My punches were not on it just his or someone else's.... This was not even a good replacement as it had tick bites, around the shoulders ... I don't know what can be done as he has probably given my cape to someone else or sold it as it was one of the prettiest capes I've seen in a long time from North MO. So I will not recommend any Tannery from S.E. MO..

7. Rhino

Rich, I understand , being your Son's cape, that probably especially pisses you off!

What I would do in the tanners situation, first off, is apologize profusely for his mistake. Sometimes just being up front honest can go a long way. My best guess, is that he simply just shipped your cape to the wrong Taxidermist. Although being the exception to the rule, I have seen this happen a few times. Most of the time, the Taxidermist is honest, and will tell the Tanner about the mix-up. The Tanner will issue a call tag, and have the cape picked up at his expense. If the Taxidermist doesn't acknowledge the mix-up, well, everyone gets screwed!

I'm kinda surprised the tanner just didn't admit his mistake, if he knows he made one, and at least offer you some type of a credit for future work or something?? Maybe salvage the business relationship ? Good luck! Really no way to un-screw this.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Oldshaver, here's my thoughts on tannery mess ups. Some of them are straight forward and will at least attempt to rectify the situation but, there is the other kind as well that figure that there is enough work out there. What is losing one customer going to do to them? That seems to have happened to me. I used the same tannery since I opened my business. Ownership changed hands and quality and turn around went to chit and instead of answering or returning calls or emails. I get the silent treatment.

9. When I first started getting serious about taxidermy I decided to send them put to get tanned instead of doing it myself. I had hand picked a bunch of big November rut capes from our local butcher shop. I had about a dozen with 24-25 inch swell necks. I had talked with the tanner and told him I was sending him some extra capes I had for him to tan. That was my mistake saying they were my extra ones. What I got back were not my capes. None of them. I got back early season shorthairs with arrow holes in them, others that were 18-20 inch swells ( yearling bucks) . Not one of my original capes came back. I called him up and he as much as admitted that he needed some replacement capes and used mine for that. He said tough luck and take him to court if I didn't like it. I have never sent a deer cape out of the shop again.

10. Rhino

Frankly, I don't know where y'all find these people!? I also don't understand, and will never understand, why, when tanners screw stuff up, and does not make it right, that it isn't shouted from the roof tops. I'm not talking about any instance in this thread, but you see Taxi's gripe about a tannery quite frequently on Taxi Net, but for the most part, it's never told WHO SCREWED YOU OVER?

Half of them probably got your business off this site(if not more) , so my opinion is, let em have it! They want to play tanner, and take on the responsibility of tanning for others, they should have no problem with the consequences of their actions! Or going to the University of Taxidermy Tanning(it's probably coming before long) and have the idiotic gall to think that they are ready to take in skins from others. That's like working at McDonalds for a couple of months, then opening a four star resturant. It's not the chemical end that is so hard these days, it's the shaving end of it. If you can't shave a red fox clean for instance, your not ready to shave someone else's skins. The Internet has empowered many folks into thinking that they are tanners, and guess who is paying the price? A shaving machine, a jug of tan, and it's on! Tanners have increased by 3 or four fold in the last 10 years.

It's a sad state of affairs. There is a section on this site where the Taxidermist can report their dealings with different people on skin sales, or other things to do with Taxidermy, but there is no section to report jackleg tanners.
    I think it's time for a new category!? Probably the most important one of all!

11. This was actually a fairly well known place. But it has been sold and under new ownership and I hear they do nice work. I didn't post the name for that reason.

12. Rhino

That's cool. Sometimes there is more to be said, that the whole world doesn't need to know.

Gotta be careful when " shouting if from the roof tops " as I mentioned. You could end up with someone like me gathering evidence against you! LOL Every once in a while, you(tanner) will get some idiot that thinks he or she is going to send in a piece of crap skin, and get it replaced for free, but photos were taken before shaving, and YOU GET BUSTED! That happens too! The guy that fleshes a large blk bear too close, and half the hair comes through on the skin side, then blames it on the tannerys shavers!? One of a skins biggest enemy's is a Taxidermist that thinks he can use a fleshing machine well, but they can't. (Mastering one would be the best investment you could ever make) The worst one though, is a tanner that's charging you $50+ to tan a skin, that you could have cut holes in yourself , instead of paying someone else to cut the holes!

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Exactly oldshaver, at times it is best to not burn bridges on an open forum.

14. Rhino

I agree there. Some of the biggest tannery disasters I have ever seen, was from a tannery getting a new owner. I saw a fairly recent disaster that reminds me of this.
    The tannery owners Daughter and Son-in-Law took over the helm. She was a traveling trauma nurse, and I don't know what he did. No experience in either owner except a crash course from the original owner. FOLDED in a few years, dragging down thousands of dollars worth of skins with them.
    To me, you could easily see the writing on that wall. There is way more to tanning for others, than tanning your own skins. WAY MORE! And just because you are fairly smart, with a few buck in your pocket, does not mean you will run a successful tannery.

15. Did someone say something about burning bridges on open forums ???

I've burned a few in my lifetime and still have some matches !!!

DP

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Light em up if you must.

17. Rhino

You use a freakin flamethrower!

18. Sometimes you have to make sure you are never tempted to cross back over some bridges !!!

I was told by a former fellow employee, when I was dismissed due to "lack of work" from my last job working for someone else, over 2 years ago now, my employer told him that "D. didn't just burn this bridge, he blew it up!" All due to a Facebook post I made. But I'm sure if you asked him today did he say it, he would deny it, but that's how he rolls.

DP

[​IMG]

19. . Lol

20. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Aubrey out of the 6 I've used over the years there wasn't but one that I was 100% satisfied with AND YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS.. He ran a tight ship.
    That man will never be replaced.. The knowledge that he took with him was priceless.... RIP old buddy.. YOU ARE MISSED..............