1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet antler freeze dry recommendations?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Gurneyjockey, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Does anyone have any recccomedations of where to send a set of blacktail antlers? The deer still had a little bit to grow so I don't want to attempt setting the velvet myself. I'm in California so something closer would be better than not, but I haven't had any luck finding anyone near by. Thank you

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

But enough methanol to submerge the whole rack in. Drop it in, cover it so it does not evaporate, pull it out in 2 weeks , hang by skull cap and let drip. Once done dripping let dry... it will be perfect and trust me, you'll never freeze dry another set again.

3. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Thanks Hoyt man, I will look into that again. What type of place do you purchase that at? I've looked into that in the past but there are no local vendors I could find and shipping was more than the product anywhere I could find it.

4. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Any petroleum company, wherever your big trucks are getting gas and delivering it to the pumps is a good start. I buy it in 50 gal drums every 1st of aug. My tank holds 300 gallons. 230 bucks a drum, I do about 20 moose and over 100 caribou racks every fall. Plus deer and axis people bring back from Texas and Hawaii. For a deer I'm sure you can get away with 15 gal of it in a stout cooler. Should fit a rack.

Store it outside

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Quick search found gallade chemicals in Santa Ana 714-546-9901. Not sure where your at from their but any race shop, Petra supplier will have it.

6. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

I see why you go that route! That's a lot of velvet. I typically only do 6-12 deer a year in velvet and can get away with injecting them but this gentleman with this particular deer gets special tags for his ranch to get deer before the general season. I'll look into your method and put some figures together and see how much he wants to spend on this thing. Thanks again

7. Kulis Freeze Dry

Kulis Freeze Dry New Member

I realize you are far from Ohio, but Freeze Drying is our specialty. We Freeze dry antlers from all over the country. Most of our clients from out west ship their antlers in late fall early winter 2 day air.
    Our pricing is close to the score, so if you have a rack which scored 150, it will cost $150 plus return shipping. We do not drill the antlers or alter in anyway. Shrinkage if any is not detectable.
    Please contact me to if you would like any further information about Kulis Freeze Dry 440-232-8352 Michele

8. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Thank you Michele. I may have to give you guys a call.

9. there's a place in Watsonville that freeze dries but I always do my own. Denatures alcohol injection and brush on for three days and then I do a final with stop rot, hang and dry.

10. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The stuff I had done at Kulis turned out very nice.

11. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Thank you everyone for the input. Colonb, thank you for the tip on the gentleman in Watsonville, I was able to find his info, I had no idea he was there.

12. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Kulis has always done a good job for me on velvet antler. I recommend them.