1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Matt Thompson Supply sold out to McKenzie Supply

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mcole, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno New Member

Maybe by monopolizing,soon I can just drive down to McKenzieworld and pickup my needs and wants.Should be a store in every town.Could save on shipping,cod and etc.Wow can even avoid hazard charges,thats neat.Agree with most about quality but soon as with utilities,pricing has no competition.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bowtech, are you Cecil in drag? So you knew about it long before, huh? SSUUURRRREEEEE you did. I know, the check's in the mail, right? LMAO

3. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Well-Known Member

Idaho
    Thank god we live in a free market economy. I am sure that some of the members on this forum from other countries would be more than happy to have the access to quality supplies and equipment that we take for granted in the good ole USA.

Bowtech if you feel that McKenzie buying other companies leaves a void in the market, then by all means do the American thing and start your own supply company.

4. PWS

PWS Active Member

Actually, the petroleum market is dominated by an oligopoly.... and a cartel at that!

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I agree George. Good luck to them and I am glad there is a supply company out there with such good products and service as McKenzies. I also buy allot from Jonas and Research and they are all great companies.

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

If a company was and is good to start with, whats the point in buying competition? Sam didn't buy crap, as far as the competition, he made it on his own way! Did he buy K-Mart? No, he watched them the fall from grace. 10 Years from now, I can see the post I made, a while back, about making your own forms, become alot more interesting! Who really owns what now? Do the names they started with, really reflect the true ownership, and who is actually pulling strings. Memories are nice, and good to have, buts thats all they are. Things change. Some of us use fictitious names, but do you really know who they are, and how much inside info they really have? While some of us are sitting around on the computer playing, every day, the real drivers of the industry aren't on here. They are making plans to make more money, and are probablly doing so, as we speak. I am not trying to insult anyone, myself included, but thinking you know it all, is a mistake. I learn that, every day.

7. George

That all sounds real nice OS, but it's wrong. The real movers and shakers ARE, in fact on here. The slobs working in the trenches are doing so to meet the demands placed on them by their employers to produce things that WE, in reality, want or need. K-Mart suffered, not because Sam was a better planner, but because Sam employed smarter people who didn't waste money on big name endorsements and excess paper advertising gimmicks. Henry Ford didn't make much on his first line of cars simply because they were built so well, they never wore out. He, too, learned that if he built a product with a limited life-span, either mechanically or intrinsicly that the buying public wanted to see done, he could diversify and make a fortune. Why do you think they have new model cars every year? It's public demand for creature comfort and that's constantly changing. Would you have ever put a DVD in the back seat or dash of a car as a manufacturer? Doubtful, but now it's almost part of the basic package for the "mommy vans" on the road. When Sam found out that all he offered still didn't meet what the buying public really wanted (cheaper prices), he stole the idea of a buying club and a membership fee and SAM'S Club came about. Now tell me, do you go to your local bottler to buy sodas? The local miller to buy flour, baker for cookies and cakes, local garage for tires and service, the local farmer for vegetables and eggs, the local butcher for meat,or the local dairy to buy milk? Funny how you don't think about that and how ALL industry is basically the same when you get to the root. I know Rick Morgan isn't paying retail for all his chemicals and equipment. Taxidermy ain't rocket science but too few people involved in it ever get to that realization. Mom&Pop businesses are a thing of the past except in the most remote of places. Soon, even they won't be remote anymore.

8. Bowtech

Bowtech New Member

The real movers and shakers are on here. :D I personally know a lot of people on here and dont picture any as industry "movers or shakers" LOL. I thought Walmart was driving down prices, not buying out the competion to drive it up. But what do I know, I shop at Target. Oh yeah, I was making plenty of money while you peopled babbled on about my little snood comments all day. Then I get to come home at night for a good laugh.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Bowtech.....if you had the slightest idea what you were talking about you would realize MOST of the movers & shakers are on here but do not post. Probably to avoid people like you.

I get a chuckle at how your "in the know" but actually say the most ignorant things.

10. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Hey Micheal P. you know the saying!..."You Just Can't Fix Stupid!" LMAO!

11. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Bowtech, I don't get it.
    I have never paid 1 dime for any of my supplies , MY CLIENTS BUY THEM, Supply Prices go up they pay more. What's the problem?. I make just as much as before. It does not bother me one bit.
    People that are having trouble are not charging enough to begin with and don't understand business is business. I have a set 40% profit margin so a few $ on supplies is not making me loose any sleep. I'm very happy paying for convenience!
    If they buy them all up, to me that would be great 1 catalog for everthing 1 phone call or fax to order.
    Done with time wasted ordering, back to my bench to make MONEY!

12. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

He pays wholesale for his chemicals, just as all the other people do, that buy from our supplier. Our supplier isn't low rent enough to supply Tannery's, and kiss their ass, while promoting home tanning at the same time. The Taxidermy industry is one of the few places, you will see this. Just as your suppliers sell forms to jimbo, that just started mounting last week, at the same price, a 30 year Taxidermist has to pay for theirs. That in itself is ashame, and everyone knows it! This industry supplies my income, but if any of ya ll think, that their is a line some of them wont cross for a buck, you are mistaken. I could go on all night. I have seen a few big name Taxidermists, endorsing paint on tannages, in magazines, when I know that they send most all their skins out, to be tanned. Where does it stop, and when do the blind open their eyes?

13. George

OS, now I didn't say you had an ugly baby, but it's beginning to look like he's not using mirrors any more. You know I use your tannery and I don't think there's one any better in the nation. I would never go anyplace else. BUT what would happen if I started posting on here that the owner was a shyster and his work sucked? We BOTH know that would have a very negative impact and not just because I said it. ANYTIME ANYONE bad mouths a product, a question arises in someones mind and they steer clear. No business can afford bad publicity regardless of where it comes from and that always makes the consumer the real "mover and shaker". And your statement about the suppliers isn't true either. As a long time professional, I try to buy my supplies in bulk. That qualifies me to get "free" eyes, earliners or freight "free". Small operations buy by needs and seldom if ever get any part of their costs discounted. I know if you buy a freight car load of a chemical, it's a damned sight cheaper than me buying it by the gallon or the quart or the pint. Busines is what business is.

Now Bowtech, you're so damned impressed with yourself it's truly sad. But anyone who gloats over shooting a POS Bowtech bow and shops at Targets could be a crossdresser for all I know. I shoot a Matthews and always have since Jennings sold out to Bear and I shop at Tractor Supply. I also have a real name and I'm not afraid to use it. So what.

14. EJ

George do you shoot the one that has the So-Slo Cam?...Heck, I guess it could be worse? You could've said you shoot Onida! LMAO!

15. George

Nope, shoot the 70 pound Switchback. Sissies have to stay on the porch. And before I went to the Mathews, I did have an Oregon in 75 pound that replaced my Jennings Arrowstar that had a 90 pound draw and a 35% letoff. Oh, and EJ, just for giggles, I have a 65 pound Bear Grizzly that I like to play with in the EARLY season before the deer get smart.

16. EJ

;D Good one George! LMAO!...I got tears in my eye's laughing at that one!

17. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Well there is the problem I have been waiting on. I knew there was something I just didn't like about you, George...If only it were a hoyt you'd be alright...but a matthews... :p ;D

18. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Oh George, I agree with you %99.

If people want to sell and Mckenzie wants to buy, and Matt Thompson can enjoy other ventures (while probably still collecting royalties on products that hold copyrights in his name, although I may be incorrect on that point) then why not! I don't believe that Mckenzie will ever "corner the market". I know Coombs will never sell to them, probably RMI or WASCO either.

As far as the bow thing goes:

I've shot bowtechs for years and love them! My Liberty kicks A$$. I've never owned a Mathews but can remember when the Black Max was all the rage, and then the Q1, Q2 and Q2XL. I never bought into all the hype that the put in the magazines. Of course people are going to win tournaments with you bow, when you give bows away to the worlds best shooters what do you think will happen?

I know this is off topic, but Bowtech archery has been copied by alot of manufacturers ever since they improved (note I didn't say invented or perfected) parallel limb technology.

PS. What Oregon bow did you shoot???

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ok, didnt Walmart sell stuff way cheaper, not only driving the price DOWN and putting ma/PA shops out of biz, but also dropping the bottom out of wholesale prices that manufacturers HAD to sell at to stay (barely) alive? Yeah, what do WE know, hahaha. Ill tell you one thing, its because of bigger companies like McKenzie, etc, that we even HAVE some of the products available that we do. So let me guess, they plan to run up prices, put taxidermy out of business, and...and what? Hahahaha, what a conspiracy it is! Put themselves out of business, with no more investors to buy THEM! Yep, some of you are real business minded...When are taxidermists going to smarten up and co-op with others, sending one HUGE order to a central location for dispersal, where you ALL can enjoy great discounts...like say, oh I dunno, a state convention, hint, hint...So has McKenzie gotten the skull and crossbones for their newest logo yet? Im thankful for the big guys like McKenzie and Research, etc, and Im also thankful for the smaller sized places that still do well, like Eppeley and Coombs, as two examples.

20. PWS

PWS Active Member

Bill- WalMart put ma/PA shops out of business because their customers saw no difference in the service they got from either. If you can't differentiate yourself based on selection or service, people will shop based on price..... Simple economics (ok, there's some calculus in there, so maybe not "simple")...

As for "*": "Supply Prices go up they pay more. What's the problem?. I make just as much as before. It does not bother me one bit."

Really? Doesn't bother you? Ever think of why the prices are going up? Maybe 'cause the cost of inputs or overheads are going up? Any chance you also have similar increases? (fuel, shipping, electricity, etc.) These factors don't affect businesses selectively... If your suppliers need to adjust for the increase in cost of living or any of the other factors I listed, in order to increase their take home pay to cover it....

If you only make as much as you did before, you are actually making less when you determine the true value of the dollar in relative amounts....