1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ever have one of those off days painting a fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just about finished with a large brown trout and for some reason I'm not firing on all cylinders today when it comes to painting. Even had a photo to go by but it it was like I hadn't been painting fish very long. It's finally coming together but it's been a long day!

It's one of those deals where I need to get it done before tomorrow as I want to give it a cousin at the family reunion.

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Well, ...yes and no, ...and by yes, I mean no. And by no, I mean yes. :-\

~S

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

LOL!

4. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Sorry man, I'm sort of non-committal at the moment, ...wait....Oh, there it's over!!! Yup, been there, done that! One time I had this blank from an un-named source (A.P.) that was made from a poorly stuffed fish and it seemed like no matter what I did I couldn't make it look like a real fish! Mainly because the blank didn't. The body was too skinny and stuffed round as a summer sausage and curved down like a horseshoe! I gave up and got a different blank that looked better.

~S

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Everyday and twice on Sunday

6. Yep and today is one of them!

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree with Jimmy on this one, every day I paint fish goes like that.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

If you think you have painting problems....try it if you're red-green colorblind. ::) JL

9. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

How many times do I want to strip and repaint this thing*%$#*

10. Threw on sealer the other day instead of the final coat of. gloss. Wandering why it went dull on me. Not the fist time its happened either.

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Yes, just when I think I have it all figured out....I don't.

12. All the time

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone gentlemen. That said I think some of you are being modest.

JL you are the second fish taxidermist I know that has some colorblindness (almost one out of 10 males are color blind). It's an inspiration to us all that you are able to overcome it and do outstanding fish.

14. I rekon painting is the most difficult part of the process .Have lost count of the number of times ive re done my own paint job .I shake my head in disbelief when i read of fish heads that can paint a fish from start to finish in under 3 hours .

15. Its a love, hate love relationship when it comes time to paint fish for me. I love painting them, hate when it doesn't come together as thought it would, love it when they finally come together. Working on painting a sunfish now, what a nightmare they are to get right! I think I have more painting hours in that 9" little puke then I would have in a 44" pike.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I used to dread the pumpkinseed sunfish but have figured out a system that works for me. It took about 4 or 5 of them to get the hang of it. LOL

Believe it or not I don't like the last part: Clear coating. Seems I should be glad I'm at the home plate but sometimes I hold off until morning if it's the end of the day.

I don't have issues with the clear coat itself anymore since I went to an automotive clear coat, but still don't like the clear coating step.

Early in my career I had issues with various clear coat products and had to start all over on some fish because of that. Must be why I have anxiety on that stage of the painting.

17. I'd love to hear your system Cecil, I'm about ready to put that damn thing in my skeet thrower and unload on it. LOL

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can put together using a reference pic off the Internet., Unfortunately I don't have any to paint right now.

19. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Kinda like when you grab the primer, in stead of the gloss? been there done that.........

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Have grabbed a can of white paint -- I use to white out some really dark skin mounts before antiquing like a repro -- instead of the clear lacquer. (Ace cans look identical.) Same effect eh?

I once grabbed a can of WD40 instead of the sealer. Why it was at my paint booth I have no idea.

Believe it or not the WD wiped off and caused no issues. I had always assumed it was partially a lubricant but it's all solvent.