1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on cleaning cow skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by doublekdesigns, Jul 23, 2017.

1. doublekdesigns

doublekdesigns New Member

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to cleaning up skulls and such so I have a couple questions. I'm bringing home some longhorn cow skulls that have been skinned but still have all the other tissues on them. Its been really hot here and I don't have a cool place to keep them or much time to mess with the them day I'm bringing them home. So, what should I do with them? I've heard you can bury them but I don't know how long to leave them without the skull or horns getting messed up. I would boil them but I don't have anything big enough to put them in, and I don't think my mom would want me to boil them in her kitchen and stink it up ;) Any help/advice is appreciated!

2. Put each in a large plastic bag and macerate them (remove as much tissue as possible before). This approach would also allow for the removal of the horn sheaths.
    Kendall

3. doublekdesigns

doublekdesigns New Member

Could you explain what that is/how to do it? I've never heard of that!

4. Do a search under the Skulls and Skeletons section and you will find a lot of useful information about this process.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As Kendall said. Use the Advanced Search. Search only in the Skulls and Skeletons section. Use good terms like horn removal, longhorn horn removal, skull maceration, skull cleaning .... ect. Get a cup of brew of your choice and start reading. They are already going to reek after a day in that heat so working on them in your house will be an absolute no no for several reasons.

6. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

doublekdesigns, When you try to remove the sheaves after you have let them rot but putting each in a large plastic bag and macerate them from the horn cores you are going to have to use a come-a-long and secure it to something solid & use webbing around the horn sheave, Secure it to something else solid and put tension on the sheaths... hit the horn with a dead blow hammer, they should pop right off. OH!!! and be sure not to cut the horns off the skull if you are doing a european mount... As Sea Wolf stated. use the advance search, There are some pictures I posted of how I removed the sheaths from mine.....

Here's the post

Skulls and Skeletons / Re: Longhorn core removal & {Finally mounted}

7. IndustrialElectric

IndustrialElectric New Member

Hey Yall,

My Company www.industrialelectricheating.com custom manufactures heating elements that may be useful for taxidermy
    please check out the website and give me a call if you have any questions we also can custom make a heating element for your specific application

thanks again
    -Matt

8. Sea Wolf

Matt, you had heaters before that failed and even started fires in users homes and shops that tried them. If you have made new heaters, have you tested them for weeks at a time in humid conditions? Really not good to have users take chances and test them for you.

9. Same guy http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,240355

10. BareBones11

BareBones11 New Member

Hey guys. Im new here, i have a european taxidermy business. Recently i got a fairly large longhorn skull to do, and am pretty worried i have ruined the horns.
    I soaked them in warm water over night, pulled it out in the am and smacked it with a rubber mallet luke i would withany other horned animal. The horns have gotten soggy and look and feel like wet cardboard and seem to be peeling... havent got the hornes off yet either. To worried to tey anything untill i sort this out.. any ideas, comments or reasons this has happened would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

11. Sea Wolf

If this is a real longhorn they will still be ok. Use the Advanced Search above and search for Longhorn Horn removal Longhorn skull cleaning Longhorn horns etc. Try different things for search terms. Try searching in just Skulls and Skeletons as I know there are a lot of threads in that section on it. The very bases of the horns might be soft but the rest should be ok. The peeling can be sanded later.

How long are the horns on it? One method is to get the whole thing wrapped in plastic. Toss in several cups of water and get it into a REALLY warm room. Let it sit for three days, drag it outside and open up the plastic. The horns will have started to rot off the cores and should slip easily with some banging. Did you run a thin, sharp knife up under the bases of the horns all the way around at the bottom? Someone on here (Joeym?) had a thread with pictures I think that showed how they used a come-a-long and a strap to pull the horns off. I think they also may have had a short simmer in a barrel too but find the posts and read them if you can.

BareBones11 likes this.
  12. BareBones11

BareBones11 New Member

13. BareBones11

BareBones11 New Member

Thank you for the response! They are about 60”wide on the skull. I feel a little better hearing they can be sanded.. yes i did slip a fillet knife up the bases before soaking. i may try the come along method once i resoak and loosen a bit. Thanks again

14. Sea Wolf

See if you can find that thread. I think it had pictures that showed how they anchored it and put the straps on. It was either a longhorn or a Watusi. It had huge horns.

BareBones11 likes this.