1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating Mounted Whitetail

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by crs, Jul 23, 2017.

1. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    Customer has brought me a whitetail "bargain" mount, 5yrs since mounted. Unusual coloration on cape. Wants it remounted using same cape, no idea of previous treatment (DP,wet tanned,or what) of cape! Where do I begin? Rehydration with kemal-4, salt, or what? Any help/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Look at the back of the mount, where the staples are. If the flesh side still looks pink and has a white surface on it, then they dp'd it. If its white through and through or a beige looking color then its tanned. If its tanned, take it outside and soak it with the water hose, pop the antlers and bag the mount overnight. You should be able to cut the stitches down the back if its sewn all the way. If it has a short incision, pull the staples and start at the brisket. Work you way up. Go slow, as in take your time not to rip the cape, but do it all in a single day

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I don't do this unless it's my capes only. I know I can do this with ez-100 with no problems so don't make any guarantees on this if you did lets hope for the best.

I soak mine in my sink, water, salt and Downey. I put some kind of weight on it to keep it submerged and with in an hour I can start taking it apart but it will all take time depending on glue used. If who every did this and used an epoxy you may have a big issue, just do it slow

4. x2 what Frank said

5. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Thanks fellas! I learned something here!

6. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    It was DP, I soaked top back for 45 mins cut a few stitches, all looked well so I dunked it in sink (salt,water, Downey) checked it repeatedly. I now have it apart. Thin bondo ears squeezed a little broke it up, came out easy. Got it in pickle and it actually looks good and "fresh" ! Thanks very much for help gentleman!!

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OH NO. NOT BONDO!!!! YOU MEAN THE EARS CAME RIGHT OUT????? You mean Bondo isn't an adhesive???? Who knew??? LMAO.

The only issue you're likely to have is that the hide forms a "memory". If you don't put it back on a form just like it came off of, you may have an issue with drumming as it tries to return to the shape is spent 5 years in. Use a GOOD hide past and card those areas heavily, changing the pin placement each day until it cures.