1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stretching tanned hides?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Emers48, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Emers48

Emers48 Member

I recently got tanning supplies from Rittles and have been trying to tan my own pelts. It worked really great until it was time to let them dry and stretch them as you go (so that they are dry tanned). Is the only way to get them to be dry tanned stretching them by hand?

2. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Emers48,
    After removing your hides from the tanning solution rinse them and let drain for about 20 minutes. I usually roll them up in an old bath towel for twenty minutes, in the mean time I heat up my softening oil. Don't let it boil but get it hot. Unroll your hide and liberally brush on the hot oil on the flesh side of you hide. Then fold flesh side to flesh side and let it set for about 6-8 hrs. at room temp. After that you can either freeze it in freezer bags or start ( breaking ) by hand or over a dull blade o board until it is dry. Never let your hide to dry after taking it out of the tan, you'll have a heck of a time breaking it and quite possibly rip or crack the hide.
    Of course if you have an 8 ft tumbler it would eliminate the need to manually break by hand.