1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

An Open Letter to Carolin Brak-Dolny

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Carolin,
    Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on making the cover of Breakthrough Magazine. Very few ever get to bask in the glory of such a distinction. Because of the naturally beautiful, and the threatened nature of the panda species, your choice to recreate one, plus the extra-ordinary merit of the craftsmanship itself, your mount is genuinely a one-of-a-kind work of art in the world. Your peers have affirmed that at the WTC. I can only imagine the amount of thought, time, careful work, and expense that went into that special piece. It is well worth preserving long into the future and worthy of being viewed and enjoyed by a much, much wider audience beyond the visitors and customers who come into your studio.

May I suggest that you enclose it in a handsome glass case with an interpretive label describing the red panda's natural history and the history of this particular specimen. Conceal a few mothballs in there too, and keep it out of direct sunlight. Make it the centerpiece in your showroom. Do not profane this fine work by shopping it around for a few more ribbons at future competitions. Get the local newspaper to do a story on you, featuring this fine reproduction.

Should you ever decide to sell it, such publicity could help you find a wealthy collector or businessman to purchase it (at your price,) even on condition that he donate it (for a fat tax write-off) to a suitable natural history museum in Canadian that will accept it, where it can become a permanent part of the educational exhibits there. In my view, it would be a shame if your piece should disappear into the bowels of some private collection, never to be seen in public again, or worse - eventually die of neglect in some curio shop or antique store.

If you never do another piece as fine as this one, you've nevertheless just demonstrated the possibilities of taxidermy and done the art itself proud. By your example, you have given your colleagues and every aspiring taxidermist a bolt of inspiration to do something as wonderful in his/her own work. You have our respect and admiration.
    In friendship,
    Joe

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Carolin
    I can't wait to get my Breakthrough Magazine now ! You always did very nice work. I remember the Red Fox mount with the waqgon wheel that I judged for you at a show, very nice.
    Joe
    That was a great post by you .

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

It truly was an inspiring piece in person, as was a couple others she entered. The specimen was virtually an exact copy of the real animal - we had one on exhibit here for many years but it is now unfortunately off exhibit as space is limited and museums always want to build new things or aspects to view the world from. I was disappointed that Emily didn't seek out Carolin in her Brainscoop piece as she tended towards women taxidermists.

Congrats on making the cover!

4. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Thanks for the kind words Joe, Richard and PA.

It sure is a honour to have my red panda on the cover of Breakthrough. I was very excited and kind of blown away by all the attention the red panda has received. I guess after looking at it for so long I just get used to seeing it and I did not expect to win best of show. I always did hope to get a gold medal one day, as many of you hope for. It is the reason we all enter something in the WTC.

A glass case is in the works, and I will not be schlepping it to other shows....ha ha my luck may run out.

I would like others to see it and in turn I would also like to see previous mounts that won at the WTC. Like Ken Walkers giant panda, (I wonder where it is?) Phil Soucy's Cat, Kent Reedy's wood duck, Mike Orthobers' buffalo , Frank Kotulas' fish Etc... After they win they disappear into someone's home never to be seen again. It would be cool if there was a way to see these many wonderful mounts again.

5. Mikes buffalo is for sale if anyone's interested.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Carolin, that's simply a superb recreation. You've captured the essence of the animal and actually give it a personality with the relaxed, almost poking fun at the onlooker, mouth, Even the eyes have the Mona Lisa effect. I'm sure you'll do more beautiful mounts but I'm not sure you'll ever better that particular piece.

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Thanks so much for the compliments George. It means a lot coming from a straight shooter like you.

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

stunning, simply stunning

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

No offense to kens photography but The picture does not do it justice, it's even better in person. Best I've ever seen.

10. Ca,nt wait for the breakthrough where you show how it was done,outstanding job .

11. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Wow, thanks for the compliments Museum Man, Jerry and Snagmaster.

12. I got my Breakthrough magazine last week and the Red Panda is a super nice mount!

13. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Thanks Ron, I can't wait to see my copy of the magazine. It takes a while to get to Canada.

14. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Carolin, let me start off by apologizing for my comments about you being bitter after the last world show . Iv never competted at such a magnatude event as the world show so i should have never said anything. Iv seen lots of your work and it is beautiful. You knocked it out the park with the Red Panda. Now you are a World champion and nobody can take that away from you. Again congrats and can't wait to see it in breakthrough.
    Regards, Geno

15. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

As amazing as it looks in photos I can only imagine how amazing it looks in person.. Astonishing... Congrats!!!!!!!!!!
    Some humans, and what they can do, are amazing...

16. Hunts4ducks

Hunts4ducks New Member

Also do not use any flourescent lighting anywhere near it - it has the same affect as sunlight and will fade the color. Great mount too!

17. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Lighting recommendations

Thank-you for the kind words, Hammer, TIMBUCK, and Hunts4ducks. Hunts4ducks would LED lighting be ok? Or does anyone else have lighting recommendations that will not fade mounts?