1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dan Rinehart's Tanning Cream Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Aizui, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aizui

Aizui Taxidermist

USA
    I have a couple of questions about this product Dan Rinehart's Tanning Cream and if anyone would be willing to answer me or give me some insight with this I would be extremely grateful!

1. Is this tanning cream more like a preservative or a tan?
    2. Does this cream make a pelt into leather that can be used for a dry tan?
    3. Can you soften up the leather (if it classifies as a tan) using sandpaper?
    4. Once the pelt dries with the cream on it can it be rehydrated with water?

2. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I would call Rinehart's supply company with those questions. They should be able to answer them and any more that you might have.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Want some real advice? Don't use it. If you want a paint on tan HQ is the way to go. I used Dan's cream and lost two skins. Never lost one before his product and haven't since. Coincidence? Maybe, but I am not taking the chance. I used the John Rinehart cream tan with good success (before the McKenzie buy out) but I just don't believe Dan's is the same formula no matter what he claims. It doesn't even smell the same.

4. George,what's your opinion

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I used John Rinehart's Tanning Solution (JRTS) for about 20 years and it was hard to beat. It was definitely a "tan" by whatever standard you want to use. The pH was low and it had a high lanolin content that kept the hide soft and supple. You COULD pickle it if you wanted, but I never did and have mounts here that look just as bad as the day I did them. Then McKenzie bought him out and they screwed around with the recipe. To say JRTS was a POS after that is an understatement.
    Then along comes wunderkind Dan and he claims to have John's original recipe. He very may well have HAD it but he damned sure didn't use it. That stuff was pure crap.

Fortunately Headquarters came into the game and they market an exceptional paint on that works just as well as the original JRTS did. I think it has a bit more oil in it and you have to wash the tan with a good degreasing SOAP before you go to mount it. I get my hides in, salt them overnight, paint a liberal coat of their PT on it and let it set for 6 hours. Then I put it in the freezer. The tan won't allow the hide to freeze solid and the next morning I wash it in warm water with EpoGrip Bloodout/Degreaser. I rinse it and give it a quick bath in Knobloch's Prewash/PreSoak, rinse the hide and spin dry. I lay it flesh side out on a towel and roll it up until the skin becomes tacky. I do a bit of finishing fleshing and mount the hide. Plenty of stretch and good adhesion using Pro 1. If you prefer to pickle the hide in your process,, they also carry another paint on for pickled hides.