1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Latest and greatest from MN DNR pertaining to CWD

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 3bears, Aug 2, 2017.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Old Fart, the DNR told me to my face that they want to take a proactive approach to CWD. I had to inform them that what they do is more reactive and based on fear, which of course, they deny completely.
    The ironic or moronic part is that, I was told by the big game program leader for the state, that there are a lot of myths about cwd perpetuated by people that simply are not proven, yet he in turn tried to pass some off on me, and me being me, I had to correct him and provided him with case studies that proved his inaccuracies, well that didn't go over too well, imagine that.

2. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I posted this in the other CWD thread, but it is well worth the listen.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/ep-070-chronic-wasting-disease/

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

3bears, my information came from a former employee of the MN Board of Animal Health, now retired. Yes, the original source theory CAN NOT be proven, but they are pretty sure that's the source of the prions that infected that first elk. How do you test a "dead cow" that may have been fed to mink 40, 50 or maybe even 80 years ago, or more?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Considering downer cows have been known to be snuck into slaughterhouses, and USDA inspectors do not inspect every cow, I would suspect there are positive cases of spongiform encephalitis (TSE"s) that are passed on to people that are misdiagnosed as some form of alsheimer's or associated disorders. I would bet anything it happens.

5. As I stated above, when I saw in the news that the MN DNR was going with mandatory testing here in SE Minnesota I called them to inquire about how the intended to deal with deer headed to taxidermists. They said the hunter would fill out paperwork with the taxidermist name so they could collect the head later. So, now I am thinking what will happen when that taxidermist is not a licensed taxidermist in the state. We sure have a lot of those guys. Are they going to be ticketed?? Trophy's confiscated?? Be interesting to see how that all shakes out.

6. Scrapies has been arpound noted in sheep since the 17th century. Now some idiot in Colorado says they can burn the woods off and destroy the prion or let horses eat it. The prion does not change goign through the horses digestive system. If you have ever looked at horse shit, you know their system is very inefficient.

7. Cecil some forms of Alzheimer are prion related.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    John, from what I read, earthworms are suspected to be the only known organism that can degrade the prion through digestion, enough to render then inert. Who comes up with horses being able to do the same, that would likely just cause another prion disease.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Didn't know that. Very interesting.

Eat more fish less beef!

10. 14!?? Wow.... that's incredible.