1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why we all need to dump UPS

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've had issues before with them, as the five extra charges they charged me for pick up ( I live 50 miles from the nearest pickup terminal), and their outrageous prices for shipping, it's extremely rare for me to do business with them unless a shipper insists. Today I'm been royally screwed by UPS.

Asked McKenzie to ship an order best way (The cheapest) that totaled $74.10 which was just a musky mannikin, Xlarge piece of driftwood, and a pair of eyes. Had about $120.00 in my checking account and figured that was plenty to cover the order and shipping.

Just happened to look at the email showing shipping costs and just about flipped. UPS charged me more than the order total for shipping at $78.02 from Wisconsin to Indiana! Order total with shipping was $152.12 which now I am not only overdrawn in my checking account, but will get an overdraft charge of $48.00 on each of two checks.

Yeah Yeah I know UPS now goes by size over a minimum weight but $78.02?

*&^%$#! in Indiana! UPS you need competition badly! Your oligopoly needs to end.

What killed me was the foam musky mannikin. Must have weighed a ton. ::)

2. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

FedEx baby! FedEx.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I usually go USPS. Still can't believe UPS was the cheapest. Will be finding out tomorrow.

4. I must admit it is frustrating to receive a 4 ounce package from VD and pay almost $13 Ups. I could have shipped it postal for about $4

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's called gouging Mark. The stock market is putting a lot of pressure on corps to maximize profits and today's record 22,000 says it all.

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I just ordered a couple things from McKenzie (NC warehouse). They asked me if FedEx was ok. I said, "How bout we go with the post office?" The shipping was $6.78 for about maybe a five pound box. I guarantee you FedEx or UPS would have been at least $18.00 for the same box. I ordered on Monday and it will be here tomorrow. The post office has really stepped up its service the last couple years. They even have their tracking system working these days. If I can go USPS, that is how I am going now. Screw UPS and FedEx.

You are right Cecil. They need some competition to stop their gouging.

7. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Everytime I order from Mckenzie they ask if UPS is OK or would I want to choose someone else?

8. Companies like Mckenzie that ships a lot, get a huge break on shipping costs. Heck, UPS gives me 39% off my shipping with them, and I do a fraction of what they do. So a company like Mckenzie will get an even larger discount. But, they are not passing that savings on to their customers. So they are making huge profits if they can use UPS.

9. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Ive been watching reading these shipping debates for years and keep asking myself this question - Why isn't any business allowed
    to make money except for a taxidermist ?

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Absolutely and I always pick USPS or best way (cheapest). That's why I'm puzzled I ended up with UPS this time unless the box was too big?

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have an aquaculture company in Florida that I do business with. Not sure if they do more or less business than McKenzie. Anyway, shipping is free on orders over $50.00. All shipping is Fed Ex.

Also it used to be if you ordered a large poly or fiberglass fish tank, the shipping could be just as much if not more than the tank itself. Now that's not an issue. The tanks are well over $50.00 so free shipping.

12. PA

PA Well-Known Member

The line that got me was "Had about $120.00 in my checking account". Why did you only have $120 in a checking account???? Are you one of those starving artist types? I have two checking accounts, and the wife another. In 45 years of running checking accounts, the lowest any of then was, was perhaps $300 - and that was when a money market account was earning 5% and I had the option of writing three checks a month on it. Nowadays, saving accounts earn much less than inflation. Thus, I am figuring you have several thousand in a current stock market and don't want to sell any shares of Apple!

How many people have only $120 (or less) in a checking account????

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Amount in the checking account isn't the point is it? The post is about UPS's ridiculous charges. If you had $3000.00 in your checking account and you estimated $300.00 for shipping for a 2500.00 order and it turned out to be $1000.00 for shipping wouldn't you be in the same boat?

I've had 4 to 5 grand in my checking account at times for your information. I prefer not to use a CC, so yes, it does get low from time to time because I am debt free and prefer to stay that way. And my house and property are paid for. Just put a metal roof on the house and the three car garage.

14. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I have an aquaculture company in Florida that I do business with. Not sure if they do more or less business than McKenzie. Anyway, shipping is free on orders over $50.00. All shipping is Fed Ex.

Your not really telling us that Fedex is shipping that stuff for free.....You paid the fedex and just don't know how much you were charged.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Of course nothing is free but the company has apparently bargained with Fed Ex and is apparently absorbing the cost of shipping for orders over $50.00 as the catalog prices are the same as previously.

Case in point: I ordered a 210 gallon 4 foot diameter circular fish tank a while back that lists as $303.49. Shipping IIRR from Florida normally would have been close to or more than the cost of the tank. Since the order was over $50.00 I paid NO shipping.

This is an impetus for myself and others to buy more tanks which means more business for the company. I know I'll be buying 3 or 4 in the near future.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Got a call back from McKenzie. Apparently the order was placed in two oversize boxes due to the size of the driftwood. And we all know how UPS loves oversize box fees. I am being credited for the one oversize shipping as they indicated it could have gone in the same box.

I may get lucky on my two overdraft fees. I made a cash deposit this morning that more than covers them, and I am not seeing any overdraft fees yet.

Hard to believe but was told shipping would have been even more USPS. Normally that is not the case.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

We are allowed to make money. It's just that some corps have an monopoly or oligopoly and can charge high prices without negative repercussions. Used to be this kind of monopoly was a big no no a few decades ago. Apparently it's not a big deal anymore? Maybe our congress is too busy with their partisan battles to do any oversight?

According to the list at the below link there are at least 11 industries that have oligopolies now and the list is growing:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/121514/what-are-some-current-examples-oligopolies.asp

Although I like McKenzie as far as service and their products, you can't argue their prices didn't go up substantially when they took over several supply companies. (And yes I know many of the supply companies actually pursued McKenzie and not the other way around.)

18. I am fortunate mckenzie moved to Beloit I can use speed dee ,I hate ups and feel sorry for all you people who have to use them.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just talked to the UPS driver. Said someone paid over $200.00 to ship a bean bag that only weighed 15 lbs. Said they have lost business but will add another extra charge this winter for "winter shipping."

Is UPS using the fewer customers higher prices business model? Is that a good fit for a shipper? I know USPS has really upped their game in the last few years.

Maybe they have a **** **** as a CEO like photobucket? ;D

Or are they too big to fail and will get bailed out by the taxpayer if they screw up too badly?

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I was told by someone that Speedee tried to come into Indiana but was out lobbied by UPS. Can't verify it as I don't even remember who told me that or where I may have seen it. I understand Speedee is half as much as UPS.