1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why we all need to dump UPS

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I didn't tell you the whole story on the Esox skinning. I ended up just taking the carcasses out and put the rest back in the freezer. I'll take them one or two at a time out starting tomorrow and skin them out the rest of the way.

As far as your bad experience in California? It's California. And from Illinois to California? Shoot that's even worse! What do you expect? ;D

All I can tell you is my experience with USPS is just the opposite of yours.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sometimes I just want to shout," EVERYONE STOP USING MCKENZIE AND UPS!" Just think if every taxidermist did that? We wouldn't have anything to piss and moan about. Taxidermists are still the dumbest business people on earth.

And you need to get ready for a new shipping rival. You spend all your time playing mumble peg wit USPS, UPS, and FedEx, but there's another qiet player that they are extremely worried about: Amazon. Only Walmart is big enouh not to worry about Amazon. Malls are dying daily and venerable icons of business like Sears, J.C.Penny, and Macys have crashed because of them. Both UPS and USPS depend more on Amazon than anyone else. So what happens when Amazon Prime starts its own delivery? It's coming.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Amazon is starting their own shipping company to rival UPS, air transport and all.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Sorry George, just read your post.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I heard Amazon was going to do that a couple of years ago but didn't know if it was going to happen. I welcome the competition if they end up being a competitor! Competition is good. It has helped my business anyway.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just shipped a box today Monday Post Office to New Jersey from Indiana. It will get there Wednesday and cost me $11.95. I didn't check but I'll bet anything regular group UPS would have been at least twice as much and would not get their until Thursday or Friday.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hell, I would be way more concerned about only have $120.00 in my checking account. Better raise those prices. Lol

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Which has nothing to do with UPS's prices and the fact that the shipping was more than the order. ::)

9. USPS? They are a pain in the ass.

I sold a Brearkthrough mag and went to mail it thru USPS and they they said it was $9 to mail. I told them that I have mailed several and they were only $2.50. He said I was lucky because its $9. When I asked why, he said because what I was mailing had "ads". WTF?

To be clear, if I mail two envelopes of exactly the same size and weight to the same address but one has ads, it's $9 and the one without is $2.50. I was told that is correct!

I went to a different post office and mailed a stack of papers without ads.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's strange because you should have been able to mail them booktate which is even cheaper than regular shipping..

It must depend on where you're at. I've had very few issues with USPS and UPS can eat brown. Just had a friend learn his lesson with UPS too. He mounts fish and sells them on Ebay. Says never again as the cost is just too high now.

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Someone if full of crap here! I think I would have filed a complaint with the postmaster general, or someone. If this was the case every magazine in the country would be out of business because nobody in their right mind would pay that much for postage to have a subscription. Without enough subscribers the publication would fold. Magazines depend on selling your name to advertisers more than the subscription cost. Without that and a market base there would not advertising, and no magazine.

12. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I was just messing with you Cecil, no need to fly off the deep end. And no I don't make 300k per year. I make 500 k part time. Lmao

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cecil, I think getting one's checking account down there on occassion is sorta like masturbating. Everybody does it once in awhile, they just don't talk about it - lol!

Moving on... :)

From now on I ask my customer to choose. USPS is cheaper but not as quick as UPS. USPS not reliable with their tracking and expected delivery date. But, otherwise reliable to get there. UPS expensive, but fast and very reliable with excellent tracking and on time. Since most/all mounts mailed USPS require a signature (anything over $500) a lot may come down to will somebody be there to sign (and possibly be there for a few days since USPS could be off by several days on their tracking and delivery date). Most people will choose the cheaper USPS and find somebody to be there to sign. Some however, will pay the extra for UPS to get it there a couple days earlier. I let my customers decide what they wish to pay for...

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No worries. As you can see I backed off by deleting much of my post.

And you're not the first one that made that crack. It's just disappointing that dissing people and hijacking a thread here is so common.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty USPS is much better at tracking these days. Must have been a while since you used them?

And like I said in a previous post, I have had UPS unreliable on delivery day too when shipping out west. There a bottleneck in your area where things get stuck for a few days. Not a good thing for frozen fish.

For some reason to Wyoming and Montana the box just sits there near Chicago for a couple of days. Maybe they are waiting for enough parcels? When I complained to UPS they said I should have shipped overnight. Can you imagine how expensive it would have been to ship 4 or 5 big trout overnight?

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cecil,

We'll just have to agree to disagree on USPS Tracking abilities. I think they suck compared to UPS. The last experience using the USPS out to Sacramento was not a while back, but about a month ago. And it was a nightmare. The USPS Tracking was useless and incorrect. They couldn't tell if it was on the truck or at one of two possible locations sitting. It was not days late, but almost a week late and counting. My customer got tired of taking off work for them to not deliver it - when it stated "out for delivery" both days. Never happened. He finally drove and picked it up. Who knows how long it would have been stuck in limbo with lazy drivers not delivering it. I recently shipped UPS to Hawaii and it was spot-on on it's estimated delivery date and tracking. Always has been Not so with USPS. It's a trade-fff with the services and prices I mentioned earlier. I usually use USPS too. But, they ain't all that Cecil! JMO of course!

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yep we'll have to agree to disagree. I shipped a bluegill to Hawaii Priority Mail once and it got there in 3 days. Would never have happened with UPS.

The wife had an inquiry on how much it would cost to ship a silver plated silverware set to Israel via Ebay. UPS wanted over $200.00. USPS wanted $90.00.

One thing I do with my USPS shipment is I have Priorty Mail sticker on all 6 sides and also a Keep Frozen sticker with an icon on all six sides. Seems to help.

18. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    One thing ive noticed in the small town I live in is the mail truck only comes once a day., so if you mail a package at 7:00 am on Monday it
    doesn't leave the post office until the next day when the truck returns . But if you trac it its in transit starting Monday when they post mark it.

19. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Unless my supplies are too large or I need it yesterday (which is almost never) I have taken to using USPS. The tracking isn't as good as UPS but USPS had stepped up their game and made some improvements the last couple years in this area. You get what you pay for. You want great tracking, pay UPS to do it. For a package to be shipped for half the price, USPS.

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head. But there are times where UPS takes longer than Priority Mail. USPS is faster for me shipping out west.