1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why we all need to dump UPS

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

My Daughter ordered some books for her graduate degree last Wednesday, 2 day priiority, USPS, still not here as of today.

2. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Had a similar experience a couple years ago, a guy from Michigan bought a couple capes and sent mo via priority mail , later
    the same day deciedes he wants another and sent it snail mail the same day and the snail mail beat the priority mail by
    3-4 days.

3. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    I've used most all the mail carriers... +'s & -'s = UPS for me, No problems and reasonable prices.

Thank you UPS for your great service!

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil...you've had a boner for UPS since you moved out of Taxachusetts. It was your decision to move out to EAST JOCKSTRAP and are pissed off that UPS didn't build a shipping center closer to you. Who are you to tell a company what to charge for shipping. Bet it would burn your crotch if they came on here every day complaining what you charge for a fish. Business is business, so charge your customer the shipping costs and stop your needless bitching over something you will never get control of. Just my opinion.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Still no books.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You guys are too funny. Boner? East jockstrap? Do you hear that fellow Hoosiers? ;D

Even my dogs knows UPS is gouging us. And it's no coincidence PB and Timjo think UPS is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel cause I have an issue with them.

Wait till they add on their "Winter Surcharge" and hear how many folks like them. ;D

But carry on gentlemen. ;)

7. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    No offense Cecil but you seem to have a lot of issues. Copy that

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No offense taken Rimjo. ;)

I have an idea. I made my point pages ago on the thread. If some of you would stop trolling the thread it might go away stop being annoying.

Last post for me. Carry on.

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I use both UPS and FedEx for taxidermy related items, order today before noon and its here next day, pretty much same price. Ship out for tanning, use either. Also freight trucking service for numerous and very large pieces. Shipping cost are incorporated into my pricing and when the cost go up so does my price, as it will this coming season. I use USPS for regular mail and very small items that fit in a envelope, padded or not. No issues here.

10. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I just sold a brook trout on ebay and listed a flat rate to ship as $24.00. I took the boxed fish to our local UPS drop off station and was charged $42. 50 to ship!!!! The clerk asked if I could reduce the size of the box any to reduce the cost to ship and I said YES. I took the box back home and reduced the height from 12" to 7". The adjusted shipping cost went down to $32.68. I paid it and left.
    Upon getting home I got on the USPS website and entered all of the data to estimate the cost to ship the same brook trout USPS retail ground. The cost was $13.65. Because my fish sales come from ebay bidders I can't simply raise my prices to adjust for sky high shipping. And if I raise the cost to ship, bidders will simply bid lower. I buy almost all of the materials to ship my fish, and that's an additional loss I never recoup. Any way I figure it, as UPS shipping costs increase, I make less profit.
    I have used UPS for many years. I've been satisfied with their delivery times and that only ONE fish out of over 1000 was damaged (Their fault and insurance covered it.). With that said, it looks like UPS has hiked its rates to the point that I will be switching to USPS Ground.

11. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Perca, get an account with UPS and print out the postage lables off your printer. It's way cheaper than bringing it into a UPS station.

I have another idea cecil, next time you start up another one of your whining rants, don't get so annoyed if someone disagrees with you. I for one can't stand your whining and sucking up to your small fan base.

I apologize to everyone else who may think I'm rude to this knot head, but for obvious reasons, he really BUGS me!

Pease out

12. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I just found this thread and I must say I find it amazing! It seems as though everyone has a different experience according to where they live!

I raise and butcher hogs, and here in Colorado, my track record with UPS is mixed, according to what I get. During show season when I get semen shipped overnight to breed showpigs, they are great. The package arrives cool on the doorstep at 8:30 a.m. on the dot! When I've gotten large items UPS freight, no problem, super helpful.

All other items, watch out! I think they use them for football practice. 3 times in a row I needed replacement orders of bacon & ham cure because the (well padded) box had ruptured and the contents were contaminated! Hardly a box has arrived here undamaged. A commercial grade meat grinder was so badly dented that the pieces couldn't align!

When I used to ship fish, about 20% of customers that got them from UPS reported damage until I changed to Fedex, then no more claims.

Currently, I don't receive damaged goods from either Fedex or USPS, so if given a choice of shippers, I will choose one of these.

As always, I'm sure your mileage may vary from mine. I'm just relaying my experience out here.

~S

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have a website, whitemountaininsectrepellent.com where each item weighs the same. Since the shipping cost is built into the order with PayPal and I ship throughout the country and can't change the shipping cost when I get the order, I took each fully packaged product to the Post Office and got the most distant shipping cost and applied that as the shipping cost to each order. That way I don't lose any money on shipping and the customer pays the shipping. I also have the UPS page in my computer and label and ship other related items that way. This allows me to have the current shipping cost to charge the customer. Just the way I do it. Good luck JL

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

5 pages and we've learned nothing new about shipping - just like the previous 1000 posts about shipping costs! Two eyes or one anybody? lol.

Generally speaking:

USPS = Cheapest, reliable but can be slow and package size limitations for bigger fish. And, their biggest issue (IMO), weak tracking with delivery dates not set in stone and can slip quite a bit.
    UPS/FedEx = Best all around service, but costlier than USPS. Reliable, quick and excellent tracking tools.
    SpeeDee = The next cheapest after USPS, limited service area, quick, reliable, never used their tracking so I cannot comment, but I believe it is good.

Now, as far as who beats up your package the most - they all do! SpeeDee actually "wins?" with the most beaten up package out there for me, but I packed it well and no issues. Otherwise, they all generally get your package there in one piece most of the time.

Individual areas and individual drivers MAY also play a part in all of this too.

And, some of your clients may also have a preference. It's been my experience that some of my clients have no problem paying an extra hondo or two for their fish to arrive promptly and safely (their feelings, not mine - lol!) A lot depends on your clients (budget). If you're charging $8 bucks an inch or selling fish on EBay you're going to have trouble recouping the additional costs of using UPS or Fedex.

The quick answer? I believe the main difference is with USPS. If you want to save money on shipping and your client isn't in a hurry to get their package and they aren't impressed with paying for excellent tracking nor concerned about delivery dates slipping and they also have somebody around for a signature all the time (assuming your fish is over $500 it will require a signature with USPS), then USPS is a no-brainer. I use the USPS 95% of the time...

15. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Hey Marty. If you read your own posts you'll run out of wind before you come to a period. Just sayin'. ;) And who the hell charges $8.00/inch? Oh yeah. Now I remember.
    So that leaves us bargain basement hacksidermists to suffer the most from the sky high cost of shipping by UPS. And in closing, no one can dispute the savings of using one eye instead of two...eh? ;D

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGgaI-BcI4

17. Last post from me?

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yeah Doug I know. I type faster than I talk so I don't have to come up for air! No disrespect to the EBayers, I know you do quality work. It's just that you lose that personal attachment and you have to know without that attachment higher prices are a lot harder to charge. I would imagine you prpbably know all the tricks in how to ship and crate the most efficient way due to your budget limitations...

19. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Does eBay tell you what you can charge for shipping? (I never sold on there, only purchased) I saw a t-shirt on there once I was going to get. Starting bid was $1.00 and I was wondering why nobody bid on it until I saw the shipping was $20.00. I thought, what a racket! Get them to bid and before you know it you sold something for $21.00 with shipping being at most two bucks. $19.00 for t-shirt. I'll tell you what, after that before I bid on anything I definitely checked on the shipping charges before placing the bid.

20. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

No, ebay offers sellers several choices for shipping charges. One is for the seller to set the cost to ship at a FLAT RATE. That's what I choose. I know where the threshholds are and do my best to stay under them, but it keeps getting tougher.
    I've seen sellers who work the system by setting a super low Buy It Now price and then setting a sky high FLAT RATE shipping charge. The T-shirt is a great example. How about this one? SD cards with big capacity storage for a Buy-It-Now of $2.50.....and then a flat rate shipping of $25.00!!! Ridiculous.