1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop flooring

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Monty Artrip, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I started to post this in the general taxidermy area but think our situation as fish taxidermists may be unique in that we use more paints, thinners, etc that may affect the longevity. I recently moved and in the process of converting half of a large garage into a work area. I have tried different types of flooring in the past: tile, carpet ( disaster) etc in different shops. The floor is currently concrete and I have considered the various epoxy paints but had bad luck with peeling in the past. Has anyone used the thick rubber industrial flooring like what is used in gyms?? Interested in hearing what has worked well for others. Thanks for any help.

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I have industrial vinyl in my shop. Looks like wood. It's great. Slightly flexible. Easy to mop.

3. Following this... I currently have carpet and am in the process of ripping it up. What a mess.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've used the epoxies with excellent luck. No peeling. Was your concrete new? Did you acid treat the concrete before painting?

5. Monty Artrip

Thanks for the replies. Cecil, the concrete was older and I did use the muriatic acid. It's been a few years so I don't remember the particular brand. I have heard that some are better than others. There seems to be an abundance of various flooring on Craigslist under materials section. Most seems to be new and extra from large contracting jobs. Jimmy, is your vinyl flooring the roll type?

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

It comes in flat boxes. 3 or 4ft by like 6 or 8" wide. Pretty flexible.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Got my epoxy at Menards.

Only thing it can't handle well is battery acid. But what can?

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I don't know your age Monty, but I would also recommend anti-fatigue mats in your painting area and any other work stations. If I stood on a hard surface like concrete I'd be done and laid up for a couple of days after only an hour or two of standing. I have a couple of herniated disks though from playing football in hs and college. So, my back is worse off than most. But, even w/o back issues standing on concrete for ten years will probably affect most people. I have two 1 3/4" anti-fatigue mats that I bought from McMaster Carr about a decade ago and they have held up very well. All sorts of chemicals and such have been spilled on them... I would recommend vinyl over epoxy for the same reason if you opt to not do the rubber floor. It's softer and easier on your back than concrete. Believe it or not standing on 1/8" of vinyl makes a world of difference.

If cost weren't an option I would re-do my whole shop floor with those, snap together rubber tiles. Sorta the same concept you're considering with the thick rubber floors - the kind you see in weight rooms. Commercial grade. IMO I don't think chemicals and paint spills and such are much of a concern for the rubber (or vinyl either or of course the epoxy) as it sure isn't with the thick, rubber anti-fatigue mats I have (and they were not rated for chemical spills). I think the only real concern might be a stain or two if you did spill something toxic. I doubt it would do any actual damage to the rubber. Vinyl would be my second choice if I didn't want to fork out the coin for the rubber floor... JMO...

9. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Snap together rubber tiles! Right on! The thicker the better! Put em where you stand the most.

10. Monty Artrip

Some great ideas here and yes Marty, I'm getting older and starting to notice achy knees, ankles etc so that is a major consideration. I did look today on Craigslist at some rubber flooring in the material section. Much of it is new but seems to be a fraction of the cost. Mainly overstock from large contracting jobs from what I can tell.

11. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Harbor Freight has some too, I used them in the kitchen for my wife. I think the package of 4 pieces was about 9 bucks?

~S

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Marty, I couldn't agree more. I have a concrete floor and I used epoxy paint on it about 30 years ago. As the concrete aged, I'm assuming the "skin" started to deteriorate and the paint came up. I tried everything. Finally, I decided on "nothing". Here we have a junk outlet called Ollie's. I don't know how widespread they are, but this one carries discontinued products, seconds, and just overstocked items. The have a perforated anti-fatigue mat that's 3'x6'. Since I've had leg and back problems, it seemed the way to go rather than those useless 2 foot interlocking foam squares you find at Lowes. Absolutely incredible difference. They cover the floor, but the perforations are open allowing vacuuming down to the floor. They were [email protected] and worth every penny.

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info George and Monty as those are great ideas and I do plan on setting up my new shop with this type of flooring if at all possible. Always nice to do it for less!