1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Too much Dawn detergent?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by keriWCL, Aug 3, 2017.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

Hi...
    Is it possible to use too much Dawn soap when washing a hide and have hair slippage? Has anyone ever used Pine Sol to wash hide? :)

BO-N-ARO likes this.
  2. I've always used a antibacterial dish soap with a hand full of salt to wash my hides. Not sure about the dawn for hides.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Dawn does have a high ph but any problems that can occur would be how long you leave it in the washing solution, 10 minutes is all you would need to clean off blood/dirt followed by a clean water rinse. I don't wash any hides/capes before salting.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not sure about the "high pH". Dawn is about an 8 pH which is just slightly more alkali than tap water. You're not going to "increase" the pH by adding more or less. (You only change the concentration). I actually use Epo-Grip Bloodout/Degreaser which has a pH of about 9. So to answer your question, I'd say "no" and suspect that any slippage is due to field care or care before tanning. That's the issue almost 100% of the time unless you're using pure lye soap (which is a 12.0 pH).

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Some use a little lysol disinfectant along with the Dawn to help kill bacteria.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Do NOT use Lysol. I doubt using it would effect your mount in anyway, but I'm positive it won't enhance it in anyway either. Lysol is not much better than any of the other cleaners and detergents out there. Once upon a time Lysol contained phenol which was a rather good bacteriacide. Phenol is bad juju now and it has been removed from most products that used it (all products you can buy over the counter in a grocery store)

Though this is likely to stir up some sentiments, bacteriacides are about useless in our work anyway. If you don't know that your hide is perishable, then you're in the wrong business. Bacteria should never effect your work because it should never have an opportunity to grow. If you have a questionable hide, the bacteria have already done their damage. I know if I have an "iffy" hide that smells but the hair is still tight, I usually apply StopRot to it rather than a bacteriacide. StopRot does just what the name implies.

msestak likes this.
  7. Brode J.

Brode J. New Member

W

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Taxidermy supply companies.

9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Post is from 2017.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Actually, I was answering Brode J's who posted a question yesterday asking where they could purchase Stop Rot.

George likes this.
  11. socalmountainman

12. socalmountainman

...all I see is a "W". Must be something wrong with my laptop. I stand corrected.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That's weird. Ya, what I see is "who sells stop rot?".