1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial Water for thicker pours...

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by keriWCL, Aug 3, 2017.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

HI,
    Can someone offer advise on what is the best to use for thicker layered pours for a large habitat? I'm looking at polymers vs epoxy resins and it's becoming a blur... I'm not doing a sheet of plexiglass for this project and simply need to make several pours. Suggestions from experienced users please? :-*

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

How thick? You can build up under your "surface" with foam or other materials so you won't have to use as much resin. Painting the foam black, and or mixing in debris will give depth to even a thin water layer. If you are using a wood base, make sure you seal it good before you start. Also if you are just doing a flat pour, with no ripples or splashes, I have had excellent results with Parks Super Glaze that can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is self leveling, and takes overnight to cure. It's by far better to build up the space with foam or debris than to pour a thick layer, or even several things layers of any resin.

If you want the "water" scene to be viewed from the side, with a true thickness to the water, I've used a product from Reynolds Advanced Materials called Encapso K. It will add weight to the mount, but will allow you to truly show a thick layer of water.