1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help please .. I have a friend that had a bear and moose seized at the Canadian border by US..

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by dave selenke, Aug 3, 2017.

1. dave selenke

dave selenke Member

This is what our friends at USFWS are telling her... the bear and moose were shot 50 years ago and she was trying to get them to an 80 year old sister?
    Does she persue this or just give up...
    Below is the letter from the USFWS
    Thanks

Jill,

I will be sending a letter entitled "Notice of Seizure and Proposed
    Forfeiture" within the week. This letter will describe what happened,
    the violations, and the interested parties rights.

In short, the import of the bear rug and the moose antlers into the
    United States from Canada were in violation of, at minimum, the
    Endangered Species Act (ESA), the Convention on International Trade in
    Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES), and the LACEY Act.

Once you receive the letter and have a chance to read it over, please
    feel free to call me if you have questions.

Thank you,

2. Polar bear rug?

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I would hire and attorney

4. dave selenke

dave selenke Member

Brown bear?? Mounts are 50 years old but heirlooms to the family... what a shame

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Welcome to our world. Unvetted terrorist, come on in. Old mounted animals? You're looking at prison time possibly. I hope it works out but it wouldn't for a taxidermist.

6. catman

catman Active Member

Ask for a hearing. You can most likely get it back.

7. PWS

PWS Active Member

I came through from AK to the lower 48 with a hunted moose rack from 2 years prior, and a picked up caribou skull from ??

Had paperwork from Anchorage USFWS with names, addresses, to & from. Made it into Canada no problem.

Once I got to Washington state... bullshit, nothing but bullshit. How the paperwork was wrong (ummm... your agency? Not my effing problem?), where the tags were (1. Not required, 2. Picked up dead?), etc.

In general, a circus. Pretty much told him where he could go (56 hours of driving in 64 hours will do that to someone). He said he "believed my story so I can keep them but next time they'll be confiscated"...

Yeah, USFWS, GFY.... fight them.

8. juli

juli Active Member

This is why, when I move from Alaska to the lower 48 everything will be sent by barge.

importing moose antlers from Canada to the US - lots of people hunt moose in Canada and take their antlers back to the states (by road)???? .... sounds as if an attorney might be needed....