1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

emu skull,

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fox hunter, Aug 4, 2017.

1. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

im now going to try cleaning a emu head to keep the skull, can any one tell me please if they have a beak sheaf like other birds that can be pulled off after soaking for a few days, as i planned on macerating him, i havent got beetles so thats the only way i can go is maceration, any advice would be much appreciated, thankyou.

2. Buy some beetles (they're available in UK) and breed a colony large enough (500 or more) then clean the skull.
    Beak sheath can be pulled off but it's quite thin at areas other than edges of the jaws. Shrinkage is very likely after drying. The sheath also obscures part of skull anatomy.
    Emu skull would fall apart if macerated. The separate bones are fragile and tricky to assemble, lack of experience brings disappointing results.
    Eye rings & tongue are worth saving too and also hard to clean without beetles.

3. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

thankyou for the information, much appriciated.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Beetles are preferred but be prepared for a puzzle if you macerate. Remove the eyes carefully and clean those by hand. You can salvage the bone rings in the eyes if you are careful. Same as with the bones of the tongue. After a couple of days, pull off the outer covering of the beak. Put it in a plastic bag with a mix of water and alcohol and store it in the fridge until you are ready to replace it.

5. You can dry the head after beak sheath comes off and wait until you get beetles.