1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Citric acid pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Taximan2016, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Taximan2016

Taximan2016 Member

I've always used safety acid for my pickle and want to try citric. The instructions say 3oz per gallon. Liquid ounces and dry ounces of weight are different so how many cups would I use for 75 gallons?

2. Taximan2016

Taximan2016 Member

I have dry citric acid from trubond

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

14 lbs

That 3oz per gallon is ok, but I have found its a little hot.? I would start with 12 lbs, then go from there. Check the ph. Around 2 is fine for the final pH, but the starting pH should be around 1.5 or so to allow for the pH rise after adding skins. Cups for liquid, scales for powder, etc

If you don't mind me asking, what are you pickling that requires 75 gallons?

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I agree with you OldShaver! Since a Northern WT Shoulder skinned Cape usually weighs 8-9 Lbs. - 75 Gallons - thats enough Pickle to handle 16 to 18 WT Shoulder length Capes! At using 2 Quarts of Pickle solution to each 1 Lb. of Skin weight. And at 3 Ozs. of Citric Acid per 1 Gallon of Water! 14 Lbs of Citric Acid.! That's a lot! Wow! Put the Acid in a Cup on a Weight Scale to measure it out! Keep the Citric Acid Pickle between 1.5 to 2.5 for a pH reading - it may depend on the amount of Acid and the thickness of the skins or capes how much of the Citric Acid in solution it absorbs. I always used 3 Ozs. of Citric Acid per 1 Gallon of solution.