1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Walleye preserving

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gusm, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Hello everyone! I'm very new to taxidermy, can anyone tell me how long I can leave a walleye skin in borax, water, and denatured alcohol? I put 1 gal. Of water, 1 1/2 cup borax and 8 oz. of alcohol in my mix, any help would be great! Thanks! Gus

2. I have used that recipe but add zinc sulfate and an ounce of Lysol in the brown bottle to the mix. about 3 oz per gal of the zinc sulfate give or take an once you can add a little more alcohol if you want it wont hurt I think I put a pint per gal just Isoprophal I have left skins in for up to a year just make sure you get most of the meat out before placing in the pickle I lay it out on the sink and apply Dawn all over the skin inside and out let it sit for a couple of hours then rinse off before placing in pickle. When removing to mount soak it in water for and hour or so to help re hydrate

3. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Thanks for the help! You answered all I need to know! For now

4. Gusm

Gusm New Member

I took my walleye skin out of the pickling and washed it off with water, tried to fit it on the form after rehydrating it for a couple hours. I ordered a form the exact girth as my fish and it appears to be to big. The anus and anal fin seem to be about 3/8" off to the show side. 2 questions : is there anyway to use this form and modify it? Or what should I do with the skin until my new form shows up? I ordered a smaller form today
    Any help would be great! Thanks!

5. den007

den007 Active Member

It is a good practice to compensate for the thickness of the skin. If your fish is 24 inches long with a girth of 15 inches, you might try a girth of 14.5 inches. Some guys like to try to pump things up and end up with the anus on the show side of the fish. Of course you can alter the form........rasp and sandpaper come to mind.

6. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Is it ok to leave the skin in water for a few days til the form arrives? Or should I put it back in the solution?

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

PM sent

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I did a trail run on how long I could leave a fish in fish tan solution. I did a walleye in the covered container for a year. (soft tissue started to get gooy.) Pike lasted 6 months, (scales started to fall out). Largemouth bass lasted 3 months (scales curled up). These were my fish from Guide trips, done a couple different containers. Checked fish once every two weeks. I had the question, HOW LONG CAN A FISH LAST BEFORE MOUNTING? OR BECOMING JUNK?