1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help measuring cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lilcajun, Aug 6, 2017.

1. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

I know this topic is beat to death. I just want to make sure that I'm measuring in the right places so that I can get the correct form.

I'm planning on mounting this cape on either a Coombs 9500 or 9700. I want to make sure that I get the correct size form. The eye to nose measurement is 7 3/4", and I'm not sure if I need a 23 or 24" form because I'm not 100% positive I'm measuring in the correct spots unfortunately. Also, this hide is already tanned. Please see the attached pictures. This is a mature midwest deer that I killed last November. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

go with the C measurement.

3. RTF

RTF Active Member

Stretch that cape out as far as you can since it is already tanned as you indicated. Then turn the cape inside out and then do your measurement.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When stretching, stretch for width, not length. When you turn it inside out, you will be measuring the skin and not the hair.

5. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

Thanks everyone. Now when I turn it inside out to get my measurements, should I pull it tight or leave it relaxed?

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Don't go tight.. just relaxed or tug a tad, you don't want it to barely fit

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk