1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New law for Michigan

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by tazzymoto, Aug 7, 2017.

1. How many of my fellow Michigan taxidermist are aware of the new law pertaining to the importing of cervids ?

2. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

If it's like California's it will hurt your business.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Yes it will affect you in the pocket book. The average hunter does not know how to cape out an animal. Educate them.

Cervid CWD Regulations for North America - harvested animal transport, baiting, feeding, CWD testing
    If you harvest a cervid in any other state, you can onlybring back the following cervid parts into Michigan: hides, deboned meat, quarters or other parts of the cervid that do not have any part of the spinal column or head attached, finished taxidermy products, cleaned teeth, antlers, or antlers attached to a skullcap cleaned of brain and muscle tissue.

If you are notified by another state or province that a deer, elk, or moose you brought into Michigan tested positive for CWD, you must contact the DNR Wildlife Disease Lab within two business days (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) at 517-336-5030 and provide details. In addition, the U.S. Department of Agriculture may have regulations on importation from Canada, contact them at 301-851-3300.

North America CWD Regulations, Carcass Movement, and Testing Results PDF icon

Includes contact information for regulatory authorities, carcass and parts movement, CWD testing, and more by state and province/territory.

4. Minnesota did the same last year. Will hurt your business for sure. The animals from out west will not likely be coming to your shop. No euros from out of state either.

5. I don't get much out of state stuff as it is.

6. Well. now you will have zero unless your customer can cape and clean skull plate.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well, this will help to eliminate any chance of that going up. I'm not sure what your income is but, I don't much care for the government restricting my potential income with rules that are based on fear and little more.

8. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Every deer hunter should listen to the meateater podcast about cwd. You do not want CWD in your state!

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/ep-070-chronic-wasting-disease/

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    BS. O'Hare the link failed before CWD was discussed at all.
    You are right, nobody wants it in their state but, it is already in many and has been for an unknown amount of time. Making criminals out of, for the most part, law abiding citizens is unacceptable, and what for? because the government is afraid of the unknown.