1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raw bobcat hides in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kottejr, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

Not exactly sure where to post this. but I'll give it a shot. I am looking at purchasing a raw bobcat hide from someone out of the state of Wisconsin, their state doesn't require pelt tags. Wisconsin does. Am I able to legally purchase a bobcat hide, from out of state without a tag? I have attempted to call the state DNR, after talking to two people who could not give me an answer and sent to a third person, who I have tried to contact 9 times in the last two days and leaving 3 messages, with no return calls. thought I could get some info back for someone on here.

Thank you.

2. Bobcats are CITES animals, I am sure ALL bobcats require a pelt seal. same with river otters,, if your srate requires one then it better have one on it when it arrives at your shop

3. One other thing I almost forgot, if it crosses state lines with out a tag, it's a violation of the lacey act, FEDERAL CRIME !! fines and or jail could be possiable

4. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

MichaelJ, thanks for the info. I wasn't 100% sure and our DNR folks couldn't come up with an answer.

I appreciate your time and clarification.

5. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I don't think Texas or Louisiana use cites seals/tags or maybe I just never seen one from there.

6. balsamln

balsamln New Member

WI
    The Wisconsin DNR is very ambiguous when it comes to helping taxidermists. Their favorite response to any of my questions has been "that SHOULD be okay. "

7. E-mail don't call them. That way if you get a response that X, Y is ok you have a written record of them telling you that- if down the road a problem occurs you can show due diligence and that you were misled by someone from the government. They can flat out deny that a phone conversation ever took place or that they told you that- you have no proof. Usually when you email for this reason you will get a straight answer.

8. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Maybe the guy u have been calling is a taxidermist?!?!??
    HaHa jk!

9. Yes Texas does have CITES tags.

10. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

Did finally get a response for the WI DNR, long story short, he said I could have them shipped to me without tags as long as I had an invoice with the name and address of who I bought them from. once I got them here, I could get tags for them with no problem. He also said that he looked at the regulations for that state and it does mention they should be tagged prior to shipping.

I'd feel better if they were tagged before I got them, but I haven't heard anything back from this seller so, to play it safe, I'll just skip this purchase, and look for one down the road I know is tagged.

Thank you all for your time in responding to my question.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not entirely sure but I do believe that they have to be tagged before crossing state lines, not after.
    If I remember correctly, when Mn had a wolf season, if you harvested one the pelt could not be sold across state lines because the USFW wouldn't issue cities tags for them to the Mn dnr.