1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Washing Ducks

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dwimberly, Aug 13, 2017.

1. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    What is the temp of your water when washing birds? I guess we can't get to specific like 100 degrees but is it extremely hot or is it just warm?Typically I use a hot water but my hands could withstand water that is hotter and then I rinse in hot water and spray my them off again with cool water to help remove any residual soap. I am just curious to what others do. Do I need to get my initial wash as hot as I can tolerate to help remove the fat...Don't worry, I don't use anything but blue dawn.

2. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

cold water

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I use warm water for all stages of the wash. Cold water is much less effective at removing grease than cold water and a cold water rinse is a waste of water.
    It doesn't remove soap; it just causes the remaining grease to congeal so that it doesn't feel oily.

4. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

I had several birds in the 2017 Montana State Convention. The judge for birds was Master Taxidermist Mike Ortheber. The question you are asking is the same I had for Mike after the judging was completed. To get your birds completely clean and to the point that they fluff up properly you need to was in hot water.
    My first wash is as hot as I can hold my hand in the water, and I rinse in hot water at least 3 times. Then on my second was I use a little less soap and rinse at least 3 more times. I then complete my washing a third time in warm water with little soap and rinse in warm water 3 or 4 times until all soap bubbles are gone. Since using this method I have had no problems with birds not being clean and my birds feathers are fluffed and they lay where they are suppose to be. Make grooming a lot easier. I hope this helps.

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I use the same temp water that I would wash greasy dishes in. I would call it really warm or kinda hot... lol. I wash with dawn. I can't be sure, but I think once your water reaches a temperature suitable to separate grease from dishes (using dawn), going hotter is of not much value. I rinse in the same temp. Once I'm satisfied there's no more soap present, I do a cold rinse just to cool it off. I don't know if there's an advantage to cooling it down, but it's not gonna hurt.

6. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Tons in the archives on this topic as well,youre going to get a mix of hot/cold opinions,everyone has their way of doing things. To elaborate further this is my washing process.

I Case skin all my birds. after wheeling and scissoring to get them clean I coat with a liberal application of dawn and work it in with a toothbrush.from there it goes to the sink skin side out and is sprayed with hot water to rinse the soap.i then wring the bird out and dawn the feather side well,giving it spot rinse after under cold running water.i then work in another coat of dawn and let it soak for a bit.when i pull it out of the soak i rinse the hell out of it til its clean of soap then freeze for when im ready to mount it.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

From the chemical aspect, warm/hot water removes grease better, ESPECIALLY if you're using Dawn or some of the other "detergents". Even with soaps, warm water allows the water to warm the fat, making its removal much easier.

8. Hot enough that your hands can stand it!

9. Warm water, just like washing dishes. Someone told me early on to use cold water but it just isn't nearly effective enough for me.

10. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

If the bird is very bloody or has clots, I'll do a cold water rinse first. But I always wash with hot water...

11. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

Warm pretty much for all rinses. I will let them soak awhile in a cool water if there are blood clots. Easier to work them out that way.