1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear issues

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lilcajun, Aug 13, 2017.

1. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

Seems like I have more trouble with the ears than anything else. First mount I did, I used my hide paste to attach the ear liners to the ears after I cut out the cartilage. For the most part, it came out good.

I just mounted my second deer, and decided to use the Epo-grip liquid fast set to secure the liners. Everything went together fairly easy, but it's the second day and I'm noticing some issues. Looks like the ear didn't stick to the liner very well and I can feel the air gap between the ear and liner in a couple places. It's not noticeable just looking at it, but I know I didn't do something correctly. It also seems that I can never get the skin to lay down inside the liner like I want. I'm. It sure is the liners I used are top big or if I need to make some relief cuts to get the skin to lay inside the liners. Btw, I'm using medium earlier if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate this issue on my next one? Also any suggestions on how I can fix the ear issue I have right now? Relief cut? Syringe with hide paste?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For this deer right NOW, take a scalpel and cut a short slot in the drummed ear skin. Mix your Epo-Grip and CAREFULLY place it through the skin and against the liner. If you have a cottonball, press the skin down into the glue and HOLD IT until the epoxy kicks.

In the future, always prefit your earliner. Mediums work on 90% of whitetails but sometimes they are too large. Trim them with scissors all the way around. I use a fine belt sander to feather the bottom edge of the liner. I use 3/4 fluid ounce of Liquid Fast set (3/8 of "A" and 3/8 of "B"). Stir it well and then pour about 75% of it into the ear pocket skin. Then paint a thin coat on the INSIDE of your earliner to insure 100% coverage. Set it aside for a minute and then squeeze the earpocket to insure you have epoxy out to the very edges all the way around. Then insure that you squeeze it around all over the interior of the skin. This will only take 30 seconds or so. Insert your earliner. Push all the epoxy to the ear tip and then start pushing it back to the earbutt. Align your ear edges. I use a baby's hairbrush and I brush my ears right then while the glue is still liquid.. Once I have them groomed, I stick my index and middle finger into the ear and press the skin down on the liner. It won't take long before you begin to feel the heat of the epoxy catalyzing. This is your queue to make your final adjustments on the edges . Continue to hold the inner ear skin down until it gets hot. The entire process takes 5 to 7 minutes and then you can move to the other ear.

3. lilcajun

lilcajun New Member

Thanks a bunch George. I will definitely try this method on the next one. I think that's where I went wrong with this one. I painted a thin coat of epo-grip on the liner then slipped it in. I probably didn't have enough to ensure a good adhesion.

I also thought of picking up a few syringes to inject the Epo-grip right now to keep the mess and finish work to a minimum. I know they'll be a one time use and I'll have to throw the syringes, but do you have a better way to get the Epo-grip in the drumming ear without making a mess? I'm trying to keep the holes to a minimum without having to slice too much and create a bigger problem.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you use 3/4 fluid ounce , you will seldom have an issue. If it does ooze out, DON'T PANIC. Epoxy, as it cures has a "jelly stage where it is just cures. You can easily cut, trim, or simple comb it out of the hair. Just don't walk away and let it cure.

5. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Proper fit is the number one issue for ear liners. The ear liner needs to be very, very slightly smaller the the skin to allow for your adhesive and a little bit of shrinkage.