1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Doing my first mount (coyote), tips/answers/etc needed

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tarathelion, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Tarathelion

Tarathelion New Member

Hi there,

I have a mountable coyote cape currently, a correctly sized shoulder form on the way (as well as eyes, clay and a tucking tool)

I'm looking for some step-by-step processes of mounting (specifically shoulder mounts)

and just like tips, what to look out for, etc.

I know how to skin and tan and clean and flesh etc etc, I'm not new to taxidermy, I'm new to mounting.
    Some questions i have:

Hide paste/glue?? (confused on it as a whole)
    ear placement? (tips please)
    eye lids/tucking ? (confused about this as a whole)
    Whisker posing, how?
    pinning? (how long do i need to leave the pins in, etc)
    ***how long do i have to fix errors before its unreversable?

anyway, thank you!!
    I'll post pictures once everything arrives

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Well Hell, I thought taxidermy was mounting of the skin. I guess iv been working under the wrong title as Taxidermist. Lol
    As far as glue there are many available in supply catalogs.
    And if you have skinned many animals then you know where the ear placement should be. Use the skull as reference.
    Step by step videos are also available in the supply catalogs.
    Reference pics of live animals will show you where the whiskers belong. Make sure you seperate all the wisker bulbs and add a bit of clay on the form where the whiskers pad will sit in order to correctly position each wisker.
    And if you use a goof glue you should not need any pins. The only pin I use is to hold the front corner of the eye skin in place.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Assuming your cape is tanned, the steps in the process would be something like this. Test fit, prep form, do final prep of cape thinning and sewing holes, insert earliners or bondo ears, prep form for ear base depending on how you do ears, if open mouth install jaw set and artificial nose if applicable, set eyes, do clay work, apply hide paste, slide cape onto form, line up ears, tuck eyes, lips and nose, adjust cape to hair patterns, line up whiskers, do detail work, fluff and brush out hair with blow dryer and groom, allow to dry tweeking every day, do final grooming, final painting and detail work. That is a very basic ste by step of the process. The techniques of the process vary greatly with each taxidermist having his or her preferences. The steps may vary as welll depending on the technique used. Do some reading in the archives, on the tutorial page, watch some videos (lots of free ones on youtube) or invest a few bucks on tutorial a DVD from one of the suppliers. The process is one thing, but if you're looking for technique that's a long and in depth and at times contradictory theme.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research Mannikins has a great DVD on coyote shoulder mount by Tim Brown. This DVD is a must have if you are serious about this.

5. Tarathelion

Tarathelion New Member

Thank you for all your advice! I will look into the DVDs.
    All the stuff i ordered should arrive by wednesday so I'll be sure to post pics then!

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

You will need to use hide paste to glue the skin to the materials underneath. There are many different kinds. Pro-1 seems to be the favorite.

Use a skull or the skinned out head to see where the ear canal attaches. Get plenty of reference photos of live coyotes to see how the ears are positioned once you establish your ear canal location.

Not quite sure what your confusion is here. You will need to split and thin the eye lids, then leave a small amount of the inner lid for tucking. Tuck this in between your clay work and the glass eye. For something like the lips, you will cut a lip line into the form and tuck them.

You can either pluck them all, thin the whole whisker pad area, and super glue them back in afterwards, or thin around each whisker follicle, put clay in the whisker area, and position them in the clay.

You don't need to pin anything if you do your taxidermy work correctly. Every beginner mount I see looks like a pincushion. Thin your skin properly, get a form that fits, rough up the form really well, use a good glue, don't make your lip slot too big, babysit while it dries, and no pins are needed.

I've gone back and rehydrated things months later to change small details. Otherwise within a day or two, the skin will start to dry too much to move anything around. Bag the mount to give yourself more work time.

Good luck! Definitely get yourself that coyote shoulder mount DVD.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Very nice answer KatieC.

8. Tarathelion

Tarathelion New Member

thank you Katie. everything except the eyes has arrived.. just waiting on them