1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replicas and colored pencils

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I purchased Rick Kranes Brown Trout video and will be practicing his technique this winter. Question I have is would the colored pencils work on a replica?

2. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

yes

3. off course they would

4. just make sure you buy the correct type of colored pencils. Regular colored pencils will NOT blend out and you will see the scribble marks. make sure you buy WATERCOLOR PAINT colored pencils. Little tip I got from the master himself is that if the pencil is not going on good, dip the pencil into a cup of water and then start drawing onto the blank.

5. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

PRISMACOLOR pencils are good ones to use

6. yes water will activate a water pencil

7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

PRISMACOLOR! They are the only way to go. You can even blend them out as they are a soft colored pencil. Their color goes on nice smooth. You will pay out the nose for them but they beat cheap colored pencils hands down

8. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

To add to the above, I have also used Derwent Inktense with good results. Also pastel pencils can work. Cretacolor pastel pencils are water soluble.

~S

9. Pikeonthefly

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try them all. I'm always looking for ways to make my mounts look better. You spend a lot of time on them and put color on take it off etc until you finally get something your happy with and then you look at it a month or so later and think "I could've done better." I was concerned the pencils might make the fish look fake but I guess anything would if it was put on incorrectly. Thanks again!

10. jimss

jimss Active Member

You might look at some of Rick K's videos where he uses water-based pencils. I "scribble" on blanks with pencils, then dab with wet paper towel. If you just want color in the lower areas of the scales you can practically rub off the tops of the scales. If you want color throughout the scale just dab lightly. A lot depends upon the effect you want. It's possible to "antique" or "tip" before or after by locking in different layers with triple thick, etc.

11. Pikeonthefly

Thank you Jim. I'm getting a lot of great advice here. The small things that I never thought about like coloring just a small part of the scale will make a huge difference. So much more accuracy with a colored pencil vs an airbrush. Great stuff!

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

X2. I would estimate 50% of all color on all of my skins and repros are done with watercolor pencils and dipping in water (and sometimes not). Was using this technique in the Fine Art world 35 years ago. I have various brands, but Derwent is my favorite. Stick with high quality watercolor pencils and any brand will do. Each having several unique colors. Don't be afraid to experiment with the color on the mount/repro either once it's applied. I dip brushes in water sometimes to blend or do wet finger rubs on the laid down color, etc. Steel wool to remove some dried color, etc., you name it - No rules!