1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Engraving machines

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Aug 17, 2017.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Does anyone own one? What brand or model would you recommend? We do more and more trophy plates each year, and it's a pain to order them or have someone wanting a nameplate at the time of pickup. Thanks

2. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

I have owned once since the mid 80s a New Hermes that I bough tnew in Atlanta. Time consuming stuff: spelling out 3-5 lines of text, changing the settings between lines, cutting material from sheets of metal, taping engraved piece to back piece. i always included my nameplate price with mount price. if you charge extra at least you might feel like you are getting paid for your extra time. My is a manual. I know nothing about the new computer ones. I would say it takes a minimum of ten minutes to spell out name, weight, date, county and cut it into the metal and don't slip up on that last line or forget to change the setting between lines or you will have to start over. I paid about $1000.00 for mine and added a material cutter later for about $250.00. I think manual one prices have gone down considerably. With net ....check around....Ebay. Good luck. You might want to visit an engraver and see if they will let you watch what is involved while your customers plate is done.

3. joeym

Thanks. I am suffering over whether I want to get into this or not.

4. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Have you tried your local trophy shop. Around here everybody goes there and gets them done usually while you wait. Here
    its around $5 a plate.

5. joeym

I get them made online for $1.50. It takes a couple of weeks. But, I get lots of calls by people wanting them immediately for non-taxidermy purposes.

6. Joey I've had one for 27 years. Those calls you speak of seem to stop the day UPS delivers it to your door. lol
    Actually I hate making them , it drives me nuts loading it. But my grand kids love doing it and i love not having to mess with it.
    Honestly for no more tags we make a year its not really worth the $ spent on one. It just the convenience of making one on the spot when needed. Around here for the last 10 years or so, no body wants deer on panels any more so tags arent need either. Fish now is about the only thing they get made for.
    I bought mine from New Hermes also. I believe the machine , letters and some extra letters, numbers And things was 1500.00.
    think about that, There are some letters you need lots of , without having to take some off and replace else where in the lines. Thats a pain in the A$$. as there is some that wont ever hardly get used. I bought LBS and OZ smaller than the rest so it could be a little smaller behind the numbers. I need more - than was provided. among a few other items i wanted to save loading time. I think the way to go is the one that you just type in a PC and hit enter. It cost more but has to be worth it, if you just got to own one.
    Good luck with it.

PS: when you buy your blanks its better for me to buy precut size 1x3 with self peeling adhesive on them.

7. joeym

I think I've made my decision to hold off on this. Thanks for all the input!