1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The latest CWD info I just learned.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 3bears, Aug 18, 2017.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I just got off the phone with a USDA employee that is involved with depopulating a customer's deer herd next month. During that conversation she reconfirmed our suspicions, they don't know chit about CWD, that they are willing to admit anyway. I had to question her about the method of depopulating the herd and they have to wait for their sharpshooters to be available to shoot these deer. Does that not piss anyone else off? One of the things they believe to be true is that, CWD is transmitted by being exposed to bodily fluids and it remains in the soil for an indefinite amount of time and remains viable to boot. WTH???? Why the hell would they spill the exact fluids that transmit the disease verses injection. with minimal fluid leak, if any. Nothing more than urine., which is farther removed from the brain than blood. The protocol is, the fence has to remain up for 7 years without any deer in it.

2. Exactly what I told people, Molly McClurg gave a great lecture at the Louisiana Taxidermist Convention covering this. Dont forget crows and other carrion eater pass it too.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

I dont know why any deer propagator would not want to double fence their herd. if for no other reason than to keep CWD from the wild out of the privately owned herd. they are doing the same thing in Pa. if the captive deer start to die and they test positive for CWD, the entire herd is gone.

i agree with that decision if the farm is not double fenced.

CWD prions are not killed by heat and will remain viable in the soil for years. they can also get into plants where it will be eaten by other animals. its a matter of time before a species jump occurs and or, it becomes transmittable to humans. In Pa if one of our Elk crosses over into a CWD zone that Elk gets whacked. it just happened too, the PGC just whacked a 8x9 trophy bull that crossed the interstate and into a CWD deer management area. they are not about to let that elk return to the herd.

4. Dave York

Dave York Member

Prions are highly resistant to disinfectants, heat, ultraviolet radiation, ionizing radiation and formalin. However, prions can be deactivated by heat, by chemicals and by a combination of heat, chemicals, pressure and time.

Pretty tough stuff.
    Prions can be destroyed through incineration providing the incinerator can maintain a temperature of 900 F for four hours. In an autoclave, prions can be deactivated by using a temperature of 270 F at 21 psi for 90 minutes. If the infectious material is in a solution of sodium hydroxide, deactivation will occur after one hour at 250 F and 21 psi.

A commercial disinfectant called Environ LpH also has been shown to be effective at deactivating prions. Prion disinfection occurs with a 1 percent solution of LpH for 10 hours or with a 10 percent LpH solution for one hour.

Carcasses of infected animals can be deactivated into a sterile alkaline solution using an alkaline hydrolysis digester. This consists of an insulated steam-jacketed stainless steel vessel which operates at up to 70 psi and 300 F into which sodium hydroxide and water is added and heated and continuously circulated. This process degrades proteins into salts of free amino acids and the temperature and alkali concentrations deactivate prions by destroying their peptide bonds.15

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Dave, can you tell me where you got this info please?

6. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

It's not getting any better is it.... MO has 41 counties set up for the 2017 deer season.. I had a question on if a human can get it? How will they know if they get it? what are the effects and can the be cured? Of course I couldn't answer any of these questions... Here is what I told him... Have the deer checked out and if they tell you it takes a while to get the answer (and it will) you can freeze the meat till results are in ...then either pitch it or eat it... I've been following most of this and any answers to the above "Thank You"....

7. msestak

they have no idea if its transferable to humans but the center for disease says not to eat any animal that has CWD. i suppose its the same as other types of TSE diseases like CJD it affects the brain and is always fatal.

there has been a dramatic increase in early onset Alzheimer's disease and dementia. what if some of this is connected to eating tainted venison ?

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    msestak, the claim of always fatal has me perplexed, is it that we always kill any deer suspected of being exposed to CWD or we only find it in deer harvest by hunters? I've yet to read of any deer being found dead only from CWD. I will stand corrected if this is wrong but aren't deer species thriving in Colorado and Nebraska? Any population declines in most states, if not all with the prevalence of CWD has been attributed to habitat loss and other things such as EHD, not CWD.

9. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

I will be in the epi-center of CWD in 7 days and out of this heat (thank God) in northwest Colorado! 60 plus years of CWD!! Yes we all have deer tags but we just wanted to donate to the State! There are no deer there...no...none...all dead! And I would suggest anyone else that has tags for that region turn them in and cancel your hunt! Yes....thats it....cancel all hunting trips in northwest Colorado immediately!! ;) 8) If you insist on going and do manage to kill the last deer there...DO NOT EAT IT!! Its unsafe! Donate it to ole Ron B and I will have it tested........for tenderness!! 8) 8) 8)

10. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

Gentlemen, this all sounds very stout worthy and justified but please give the devil his due when I say that unless our industry has the resources to consistently stand up and voice our opinions from the actual forefront where collective concerns and issues can actually be addressed both professionally and effectively, we're all just playing keyboard cowboys with the problems in which CWD poses to us and our patrons. Phone calls are as impersonal as can be. Emails are laced with more frost bitten attitudes than an iceberg in Antarctica. The faces must bee seen, the passion must be felt and the cause must be UNITED!
    Ron, when I was holding an actual voting position on the CWD Alliance and volunteered to be part of a study in which CWD infected venison was served to 12 people stretched out for over 30 days, not knowing who any of the 12 were, no one was detected as to having any adverse reactions and or symptoms to the consumed meat.

Not aimed at any one individual here, for your opinions and comments are most enlightening, but as Theodore Roosevelt once said; "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is NOTHING!"

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    John Janelli, I agree with you that we must be heard and seen as a whole but it would appear that others, unfortunately, don't see it that way or are afraid to stick their necks out in any way shape or fashion, including the national organizations. I may not see eye to eye with the MNTG but they at least took it upon themselves to be herd and seen, in our state anyway.

12. msestak

I think the CWD infected deer meat had an adverse reaction on someone. if they didn't know who the 12 people were how do they know no one had any adverse reaction ? :)

13. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

14. Its a political disease.....

15. It has survived since first noticed in english sheep and goats 400 years ago.

It can be spread through hay, corn, wheat, oats. No state is goign to test grains for this problem.

16. msestak

AND....thats the mystery right there. it can be found in plants. IF....it makes the transition to infecting humans what is going to happen then ?

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    There is much to learn about CWD and it's potential impact on the world's food sources. Nobody ultimately gives 2 chits about deer, it's the potential for the prions to mutate and specie jump back into beef or humans, that's what I believe they are worried about.

18. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Member

Idaho
    Here's a link to an article I read over the weekend. Seems that some deer may be genetically resistant to CWD

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article-index/study-shows-deer-genetically-resistant-chronic-wasting-disease

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Zombies

20. It may have already made the jump to humans. My daughter and I have found information that indicates that. Yeathe authorities say it cant jump species. But it already has and there is proof.

Madcow same prion, the government tells you dont eat the meat, but deer that say it is OK???? Really???? Squirrels carry it too, people eat squirrel brains.

This is a rabbit hole and the researchers do not share info with each other. The can finally read the others reports on line. If the share info then they get the answer and loose government funding for each lab.

If you kill a deer you suspect, dont eat it.