1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sharpening steels

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rgvmelb, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I'm very new to the tanning and shaving skins. Is there a need for sharpening steels and are they just bits of metal or are they proper steels like for knife sharpening? Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I don't ask, l won't know. Thanks.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Buy a set from McKenzie...they are just a few bucks. Knife sharpening steels will ruin your blade. Tuning steels turn the cutting edge back into place, with any loss of metal. Sharpening steels are way more aggressive, and would take the cutting edge off your blade.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

If you are referring to STEELS for tuning or smoothing out a fleshing machine blade, yes you need them. Go here if you need more information on fleshing machine operation, steels, and a lot more info! https://fleshingmachines.com He sells a must have video for the new to medium level fleshing machine operator, and also PROPER TUNING STEELS.....

4. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Thanks mate, the tuning is w h at I'm after. The blade I'm using atm seems okay, but someone suggested that l should get a new one. I wouldn't mind messing around with it rather than ruining a brand newy.

I'm leaning more every time I have a go being so new to it, but l found today l had to pass the skin on a fair angle to get it to shave. So I'm wondering if I should try pulling the lip up a bit more? I did expose a bit more blade, but I don't think I should move the guard back any more.