1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

molding with silicon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jh182, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jh182

jh182 New Member

Just wondering about making a mold of a brown trout that I have to skin mount. I have done bondo resin molds but I know this will cook the fish, so I'm wanting to try using silicon but my question is what silicon should I use? most of the products I have researched have a long cure time. just thinking that might not be very good for the skin having it set out along time , any suggestions ? thanks in advance

2. Concerns would be that trout tend to wrinkle and crease when trying to mold. Especially around the caudal fin area. Since you will be molding with silicone, you will not be able to retool your mold. So you will have to "chase", each cast you make. Not a big deal, if the skin movement is slight. Just a consideration. .

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

smooth on has a video on u tube with some stuff that sets quick and they are casting a fish

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Water accelerates silicone's cure time and it sets in a freezer as well. I use tube silicone to mold fish heads. It is how I would likely mold a whole fish. I'm not saying this is the only way just throwing it out there.

nemo likes this.
  5. LarryL

LarryL Member

Try smooth on brand oomoo 25 quick cure time I have used it for fish heads and other things, they have trial sizes you can try on a spare project and not wast a lot of money if it does not do what you want.Larry

6. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

i have molded several browns with rtv silicon and then skin mounted them