1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rustolium triple thick glaze?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Anyone use it?

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I thought it was made by Krylon.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Apparently Rustolium makes one as well. I just chatted with Jimmy and he said triple thick can be horrible. I'll stick to my duplicolor

4. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I wasn't aware of a triple thick. Rust-Oleum has a 2X ultra cover gloss with a little better quality nozzle. Maybe I have been lucky but haven't had any issues with it.

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I seal in with duplicolor gloss. I hit the tip of the tail on a coho to see how the triple thick would work. It ate through down to the resin. I'll stick to what I was using!

6. I use it, without any issues? The point is to use flash coats first.

7. The only issues I've had with krylon tt is humidity. It's a good product if used right. What silverwings stated is so true with any type of gloss finish. We learn as we go!

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I agree. And it's pretty easy to get it on too thick as well. However, TT isn't for beginners. I switched over from TT about two years ago and now use the Rustoleum Lacquer with the Black Chair on it. No issues with the Black Chair stuff and deals with humidity much better than TT. The 2X stuff was good but both DougP and I had numerous issues with the nozzles clogging and having to toss half the product. AND, with Rustoleum not offering any help on how to fix nor a refund. So, why fight a product when another works for you fine? Same reason I switched from TT actually - it's the most affected by humidity IMO and I have to spray outside so I got tired of the humidity designating when I spray. I can at least get by with the Black Chair stuff outside with fair humidity and get in a couple of flash coats before going inside for the final coat if I have to in a pinch. That's pretty difficult to do with TT without the risk of possible permanent fogging.

9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

it was a light ( as flash of a coat as I could get) with the triple thick that ate into the tail. All my paints are water based so I've gotta be very careful when glossing anyway with the duplicolor. Is it possible that the duplicolor and TT were not chemically compatable?

10. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

The stuff he is asking about isn't the Krylon Triple Thick. It's a new gloss I've never seen before by Rustoleum. I said the same thing haha. But it acts a lot like the Krylon. Many of us have had this discussion over the years which is why I told Ryan to come here and search it in the archives. Not only the humidity issue but the fact that it eats paint and powder like crazy makes it difficult to use. Especially for beginners. Spray nozzles change a lot for sure. If I ever do use a rattle can gloss I use the Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer in a green can or the 2x Gloss. Both work well with less issues vs the Krylon Triple Thick.

Any product misused can be problematic. But krylon triple thick is junk.

11. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

I quit using rattle can gloss a long time ago. Always had problems. I use an automotive gloss called Advantage Universal Clear Coat and it is without a doubt, the best I have used. It is cheap ($80 per gallon) and goes a long way. No bubbles,lifting of colors, eating away, or sagging gloss unless you get in a hurry and apply it too heavily. Mix with the hardener (8-1) and spray at 35Lbs pressure with a cheap $12.00 auto spray gun from Harbor Freight. 1 coat is good enough but I usually do 2 .Works awesome and I highly recommend it. Worth trying. Hope this helps.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

X2! My words exactly! Once got a bad can of the spray on and had to start all over painting several fish and that was the end of that type of product!

A lot of the automotive clear coats work great.

This is the one I use bought off of Ebay and no shipping charge (Notice I didn't say free shipping for the boneheads here that make a big deal out of that.)

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Clear-Coat-Fast-Dry-2K-Urethane-SMR-130-75-4-1-Gallon-Clearcoat-Kit-/260913491132?epid=1354459877&hash=item3cbfa7ecbc:g:iNAAAOSwF1dUPT0g

$73.00 for a gallon plus the catalyst. I had issues with Liquid Crystal aerosol and another product too, but the last one was the worst. The one thing many don't consider with the aerosols is with the amount of propellent added you are not getting a good bang for your buck vs. the automotive.

Yes I know they're convenient but...

13. FishArt

Cecil, IMO convenience and potential health issues alleviated by spraying outside trumps everything for me and why I use aerosol over a spray gun. And actually, if you count your clean-up time, I can pretty much guarantee you that the $3.50 aerosol throw-away can is cheaper than what you're using in the long run. Even without your extra clean-up time time, at $3.50 I'm sure your savings, if any, amounts to very little.... Ultimately, the only reason to go to an automotive gloss is for the end results and durability (if you're set up for heavy spraying inside). The automotive gloss shine is the brightest, no argument there. But, only slightly better than all the cans I've tried. No customer is ever going to complain about either if laid down properly. And both cans and guns are equally easy to use with the exception of Triple Thick...

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well Marty i've got an old VanDykes booth that sounds like a 747 taking off so no health issues there. But wait until you've painted 8 or 10 fish some day and the stuff in the can is bad. Nothing more despairing than spending al day painting fish and then have to strip them down because the aerosol can stuff is junk and probably past it's shelf life.

Different strokes for different folks!

You're starting to remind me of my wife. We disagree from time to time but at least it amicable. Unlike some of the dipwads here that troll my posts and contribute little to the forum.

Have to get back to shop. I have so much work to do I'm avoiding it. I need to find some babe to skin the fish out!

15. den007

den007 Active Member

I use the Rustoleum 2x and have had no issues with it. Dries fast. Never had paint compatibity problems with it, inexpensive.

16. FishArt

In 20+ years of doing this I've never had to to repaint a fish due to the aerosol spray gloss having expired, gone bad, caused problems or operator error. Nothing. I can probably guess what product you're talking about Cecil that the Taxi supply companies sell that may have given you grief... Everything around here flies off the shelf pretty quickly and there is no shelf-life concerns. I've had 3 plus year old cans in my cabinet and all worked fine... The only real difference between much of this stuff in the cans vs. a spray gun is the carrying agent that I'm paying extra for. In fact, you can get Triple Thick in cans ready to be put in your gun if you wanted to go the TT route and not have aerosol cans...

So Dennis no issues with the 2X nozzles clogging??? And it isn't the removable nozzles either but the product drying (I'm guessing) at the insert point because swapping nozzles with a good one does nothing. I bought 8 cans of the 2X stuff and 3 of them clogged after about a third of the can was gone. I believe DougP's odds were even worse. Ended up tossing them. Went through a lot of it to get full coverage. Smell lasted forever too. Yes, different strokes for different folks!

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Your quote is from me Marty. Not Dennis. ;D

18. FishArt

Thanks, I fixed it. The 2X part was for Dennis and the rest for you then I guess! ;)

19. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the previously posted replies. It's all good. Some glosses may be better than others. Maybe not. It all depends on several factors including the abilities and experience of the users. We all make mistakes and that's how we learn. Take all of the advice you can get, think it over, and have a great day glossing.

20. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

I always used Polytranspar water based shiny whatever it's called that I would buy by the gallon and color myself. At that time everyone said you couldn't cover water based with anything other than water based. But anyway, I always thought it was pretty good as a finish. How much shinier are these?

~S