1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rustolium triple thick glaze?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Aug 22, 2017.

1. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

My final words on the subject- If you have found a rattle can product that you like and are happy with the results, I'm happy for you. That just hasn't been my experience. I understand why guys reach for it especially if working in basement shops or smaller work areas or walking outside to quickly spray something.... I get it. Even when I worked in a basement shop I had a good quality exhaust fan so that I could gloss fish safely and quickly us. I built a garden shed a few steps beyond the walk out door where I could move the fish as I glossed them to the shed to dry overnight without stinking up the house or having to run a fan for extended periods.

I think there is some great mis-conception about how long it takes to use automotive. Using a calibrated cup you pour the urethane up to a numbered level, pour the hardner up to the same number above, stir it with a stick pour it in the cheap harbor freight spray gun and spray. When done, dump out any leftover into a can, add acetone, shake the sprayer and spray a couple times. Pour out the acetone and put in clean acetone or lacquer, spray a couple times and then hang the sprayer on the wall. I won't completely clean the gun once or times a year. If you keep solvent in it there is no need.

Marty I don't think you are going to convince anyone who currently uses automotive to switch back to rattle can paint and I'm not here to try to convince anyone to make the change the other way. Every time I reach for rattle can it's usually because I'm doing a single fish that needs glossing today and, I almost always regret it. I can see the difference and in the end there is no real time savings even for one fish, not when you have to do multiple coats to get good results.

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

With all the pros and cons of automotive vs other, are we saying that the same look is achievable if the build up is the same? Or is there something visually special that is only achievable with a spray on two-part automotive urethane clear?

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

My biggest beef with the rattle can stuff, more specificallly, the Triple Thick, is that it does weird sh*t. Haha..

Sometimes it fogs(goes away with hairdryer sometimes) due to the humidity.
    Sometimes it eats the paint.
    Sometimes it eats the powders.
    The nozzles are junk on most cans
    They plug easy.
    Takes multiple coats to get close to 1 coat of the Auto gloss.

I just like the fact that I can hit the fish with Auto gloss and walk away. No flash coats, no runs, no fogging, no eating my paint. I use the PPG cups that Don mentioned, so I get the mix just right, and no worries there, and its hard as a brick in about 30min and I can touch it without worrying about fingerprints up to a day later with multiple coats from a rattle can. It will never yellow like Bowens Super fish gloss, and all that other nonsense.

Also like Don said, if I happen to have a single fish going in between deer, or something like that, I will indeed gloss with a rattle can, I choose the Rustoleum 2x or Specialty Lacquer. As problem free as I've ever found any rattle can glosses to be. But, it still doesn't have that look that my Auto gloss does.

Randy does super shiny, and great fish, without question, as many others on here do, by using rattle can gloss. But I feel the shine, and durability of an Auto clear is better to me visually Scott. Maybe it's all in my head, which is very possible.

It's more of an issue of less issues in application for me, and the final product looking like I want it to.

As far as gloss goes, there have been many fish do well at the World Show with a Matte like finish, Pete's Chum for instance. I also just stopped and seen Jeff Mourning while in Colorado and he had a SMOKING coho, that was pretty dull in shine. Did it look insane? Absolutely. Would it look better shiny? who knows.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Why do I feel like I'm in this movie scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGgaI-BcI4

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Let's throw this one in the sorry I asked catagory...... holy shit!

6. yep sometimes it's better to just search the archives

7. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I agree with Marty and Randy as that's my experience also. Found on old pic with the spray can I use. I've even seen that same stuff used in Rick Krane's video too. Inexpensive, convenient, and pretty dmn nice finish that is very durable.

Attached Files:

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Good post Scott.

Don, my intent was never to convince somebody to switch over, that's riridiculous. My intent was only to defend the use of a rattle can as a reasonable way to gloss a commercial mount with more than acceptable results...

9. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Would you have preferred yes and no answers? There is a poll function for that.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Pretty sure outta 48 posts only maybe 3 address the question asked. Hahahaha

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Let's shoot for 50 posts! As was mentioned, an ultra high gloss is a personal preference. I absolutely hate some of the fish I see hanging up north here in Wisconsin that look like they have a quarter inch of epoxy on them. I guess to some this looks "glitzy." To me, it is overdone. Looks like a ceramic or glass fish. Ever try to strip it? I did, to please a customer that wanted me to repaint his fish. I will not try that again. I think Rustoleum 2x gives a decent gloss, and have not had any problems with spray tip clogging, or any complaints about yellowing. I do tell folks not to hang them in the sun, outdoors, as weathervanes, or over a wood stove. Maybe I am cheap and lazy, but I feel my fish turn out fine, customers are happy, return business, etc. I would not want to clean up auto gloss from a large sprayer Unless for some reason it was just so much better, and I could gloss 20 fish at a time. Not happening.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I gloss up to 10 at a time and will never go back to gloss in a can. Not that difficult to clean up a gloss gun. Just clean the cup out with lacquer thinner, then put some in the cup and spray it through the the gun and whipe off the other parts with the lacquer thinner. Done!

That said glossing is not my favorite step in the process although it is nice to have the painting done for the day.

Different strokes for different folks.

13. If you have never put one of these on a rattle can you don't know what you are missing. Works especially well on the Rust-oleum Speciality Lacquer (black chair). http://artprimo.com/catalog/calligraphy-red-p-319.html

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.