1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salt on Chrommies

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by big J, Aug 23, 2017.

1. for those of you that use salt when skinning those summer chrommies from the great lakes , can you use regular table salt or the salt they use on deer hides, I'am asking because years ago I tried the salt thing and after skinning the fish I put it in my solution of Borax and Zinx Sulphate and when I went to mount the fish it fell apart, someone told me it was because I used regular table salt, and iam ready to try again on a 25 pound king so any help will be appreciated.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Just playing the Devil's Advocate here, but why even bother? Those scales are SO thin to begin with and such a huge deal and pain in the butt to try to save them I question "why save them"? Scale the thing out and paint as usual and only you (and I) will know the scales are actually not there. Just ask Jim Tucker who had no other choice but to try this method a while back and he was happy with the results...

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I can only tell you I use fine salt from a local feed supply that has no additives and is used by the local Amish for canning. It's the same as table salt and comes in 50 or 30 lb. bags. (Can't remember which). It was the Morton brand but they've changed the brands.

I doubt salt had anything to do with them falling apart, but then I've only used the above salt.

How long were the skins in the borax/zinc solution? With fish with lots of guanine deposits (that's what it actually is) I only soak for a few hours, and roll up and freeze in a gallon zip lock bag if I'm not mounting right away.

You didn't say anything about degreasing. Are you degreasing before your soak?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

That makes a lot of sense, and different strokes for different folks of course.

However the way I do it I loose very few scales and the few I loose I paint back in.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I just lose them ALL - lol!

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Anybody old enough to remember the Aqua Velva commercial where the woman says, Take it off, Take it all off?" Or was that a different product?

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Summer chromers from the Great Lakes??? NOthing will save those scales. It is not worth the effort. If you are not willing to scale and degrease the Hell out of the fish, I would talk the customer into a replica or simply not take on the agony of this. Hell, you will lose half the scales before you get the damn thing home in a cooler!

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I just SAVE them all! LOL

9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

As Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "I keep them numbered for just such an emergency!"

~S

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I scale them all. Good luck JL

11. Denatured alcohol and skin them on a piece of glass. Just keep the glass wet, you may try windex also.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What can we say John. A bunch of rookies. LOL