1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

european bears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BearBonz, Aug 24, 2017.

1. I've been doing euros for about 5 years now, I still can not figure out a process that keeps all the nasal cartilage inside the nasal cavity, and still remove all the cartilage and flesh. boiling just doesnt get all the bad stuff out. Any helpfull hints??

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Maceration or beetles.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2 on maceration and beetles I can simmer a skull and keep all that in place. You are pulling it out of the simmer too soon. Done correctly, you can take a water hose and rinse all the sinus material out without destroying the sinus bones.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Need to add some sal soda or washing soda to your simmering, after a few hours hose off and put back in simmer until you get the skull clean. Just had 4 in a bucket of water outside for 2 weeks, hosed off and clean, just be careful as the teeth will fall out. Time and maceration works best, the aroma is the only negative.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Maceration, for me, is the easiest of the three and by far the stinkiest of the three as well as the most time consuming. Not my direct time consumed, but, just over all time to produce it.

6. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

By far in my opinion beetles is the best way to go it keeps the skull in perfect condition as well you don't lose any of the nasal cavity or anything and beetles are pretty cheap to get as well